Chapter 2

It was times like this that reminded Harry Potter that the end of the Second Wizarding War in no way meant the end of the discrimination and disdain that caused both wars in the first place. It was one of the reasons that, despite also being Head of the Auror Office, he made an agreement with Professor McGonagall - Headmistress now, he often had to remind himself - to be a frequent lecturer for the Defense Against the Dark Arts classes. He figured part of his reason to agreeing to come back to Hogwarts was his hero complex that Ron and Hermione constantly told him he had - he wanted extra chances to try and teach the new generations from the mistakes of the past generations so that the deaths from both wars weren't in vain.

This term's incoming first-years included his godson - Teddy Lupin - who Harry was happy to see sorted into Hufflepuff. Harry was reminded of Andromeda's stories of when Tonks had been at Hogwarts in the same House. Yes, he was twelve, and Harry blamed George and Ron for giving Teddy some Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes products behind Harry's back. Teddy had come home that first night with a fuming Headmistress McGonagall, telling Harry she had strict rules about the Weasley products, and Teddy would be allowed to come back next year.

Having Teddy around an extra year turned out to be a blessing in disguise; the boy loved helping Ginny with the James, Albus, and Lily. He was currently sporting his hair with inspiration from Zac Efron in a neon purple; Harry blamed that on Ginny allowing Teddy to watch the American movie High School Musical one night while they waited up for Harry to come home from the Ministry.

It was partially because of Teddy that Harry first noticed one of the acts of discrimination that was still prominent in everyone's minds. Harry had seen no problem teaching Teddy how to cast an invisible protection bubble around himself before coming to Hogwarts - he was just being a protective parent, after all. About three months into term, while they were practicing some of the simple spells in mock duels, like the Knockback Jinx and different colored sparks, Harry noticed Teddy constantly casting the protection bubble on his partner, a brown-haired, bespeckled Slytherin named Megan. He then noticed what Teddy was protecting Megan from - when other students thought Harry wasn't looking, they were trying to cast several skin-ailing curses at their unsuspecting classmate.

So Harry took note of each kid who aimed their wand towards the girl who wasn't Teddy and, at the end of class, asked Megan if she'd stay back for a few moments. After promising Teddy she'd come find him later, she turned to Harry with a smile but had that worried air about her that she'd done something wrong. It reminded Harry of Hermione; smiling back, he led her to the little circle office that he decorated similar to what he remembered from when Remus Lupin taught his third year - complete with one of the only moving pictures of baby Teddy with his parents that Andromeda got before Tonks and Remus were killed in the final battle.

Harry settled into his seat behind his desk and motioned for Megan to take the seat across from him. When she had seated herself and set her bag next to her, Harry gave her another smile to try and hint that she wasn't in trouble. "So ... How do you like Hogwarts?"

That clearly wasn't what Megan had been expecting, but she greatly relaxed to Harry's delight. "I love it here, Professor Potter. It's so much more than anything I could've dreamed up. I'm muggle-born, you see - didn't know about anything magical until I'd gotten my letter."

Harry raised an eyebrow. "Your accent doesn't sound entirely British."

"I live with my mum in New Zealand," she explained. "But I was born in England, so the Ministry told me I could come to Hogwarts if I wished."

Harry nodded. "And your Head of House, Professor Slughorn. Do you like him?"

"He's a brilliant Potions Master. And he's very nice to all of us in Slytherin."