Chapter 4: The Getaway

The yacht carrying the Towers' is about to dock in the marina at the farthest end of the island. It's not a huge island but a rather cute one where you can tour the entire place in half a day on foot.

"I wonder how little Maddie looks like now! It's been years since I last saw her which was when she was still a small baby!" Lexi couldn't hide her excitement upon the thought of seeing her again. 

"I bet she's big now. How long has it been since Olivia passed away? I think she was still 2 years old back then." Mrs. Towers tried to recall everything which brought sad memories back again. And it has become more painful now realizing that her daughter faces the same fate.

"She should be 10 years old by now if my calculations serve me right." Mr. Towers tried to keep the humor up. "By the way, how are you feeling sweetie?" he asked Lexi while the latter marveled at the scenery. "I'm OK Dad! There you go with your worry-wart self again! I'm cool Dad, a'yt?" she assured her dad in a tight hug. "I'll be fine!"

"I think we're almost here, are we Greg?" the missus asked the captain who's starting to maneuver the yacht to the dock. " Yes Missus! We are here!"

The Edwards were waiting at the other end of the wooden foot bridge. Everyone was there... except for Cole. Lexi kissed Mr. Edwards and Jasmine and Maddie did the same to Uncle Mike and Aunt Evelyn.

"You're such a big girl now Maddie!!! And so pretty too!" Lexi exclaimed as she hugged her tight. The little girl on the other hand felt a bit awkward about the attention she's getting as she can barely remember Lexi. She was practically a baby when they last saw each other.

"You've grown to be a very beautiful lady yourself Lexi!" Uncle Anton remarked the young lady.

"Exactly just like Evelyn wouldn't you say so?" the father bragged about.

"Of course Mike!" They all laughed at the remark and started heading back to the villa.

"Uhm...uncle, w-where's C-Cole?" Lexi curiously inquired as they walk towards the living room.

"Oh. He went out to get something, I suppose. But he'll be here in time for dinner." Uncle Anton assured her.

"Ok. Mom, Dad...can I walk along the shore?"

"Lexi, sweetie. Get some rest first. You just came out of the hospital, remember?" Mrs. Towers looked at her daughter with worry on her face.

"But Mom..." Lexi was about to complain but her father came to her rescue. "Just don't stay long, OK?"

"Yay! Thanks Dad! Promise I'll just be near!" She hugged her mom and dad and scurried out to catch the setting sun.

The missus let out a sigh and glared at her husband in disbelief. "You're ganging up on me again."

Mr. Edwards laughed at his compadre's soft heart. "Is he still the 'Father of the Year' awardee as he was when Lexi was still a baby, huh Evelyn?"

"Oh very much, compadre...but all the more now with Lexi's current condition..." Evelyn's expression suddenly gloomed.

"W-Why?! What is it about my godchild, Mike? Evelyn?"

"Compadre...Lexi is in a bad shape now and we just learned about it a couple days ago. Lexi has...Lexi has leukemia."