The Assignment (Round 2)

The stairs creaked as I set foot on the rotten wood

The stairs creaked as I set foot on the rotten wood. In the stillness of the den, I could as well have been banging on the front door. I paused with each step, hearing for signs of trouble.

A hand gripped my mouth hard just as I touched the landing. I elbowed my attacker in the chest and swung away, packing a solid punch. I heard the crack of bone as blood splattered on the floor. He clutched his face and collapsed, groaning.

Those puny men were just a mild distraction in my real business.

"Which way now?" I tapped into my Bluetooth.

"The room at the end of the hallway. Password 5408." Dhruv whispered urgently.

I whipped out my gun and melted into the shadows as I moved swiftly to the door beyond which I'd find my assignment.

The door felt sturdy as I floundered with the keys in the dark. A cold metallic touch at my head made me go still. "Throw your gun." A gruff male voice ordered.

A smile crept up my lips. No one orders Agent Lee.

I feigned defeat and lift my hands above my head. Just as I heard a faint grump, I ducked, out of his reach and fired.

One... two... and he fell backwards.

I kicked away the dead body, quickly punching in the code as the door swung open. A set of hands suddenly had my throat and I was thrown against the wall, with my attacker trapping me in a choke hold.

"You'll never get to that. It cost us a lot of money!" he smiled, his crooked, tobacco stained teeth shining in the dark. He was strong and I was losing breath. I kneed him in the groin.

"Uff" he moaned, releasing me. I took the opportunity of the momentary distraction and locked his head between my fingers, slamming him hard against the wall. I heard a sickly crunch. I love killing for fun. Earlier each kill used to break something in me, but now, maybe there's nothing more left to break.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't notice the gangly teen staring at me. His eyes were sunken and he had needle tracks all over his exposed skin- the minister's son, supposedly drugged and kidnapped!

Kidnapped? This guy had come voluntarily with the gangsters for the drugs.

His bloodshot eyes scrutinized me closely, "Who are you?"

"Daleeah." I informed, scanning the room for a possible route of escape. The window was high up, not for me though.

"Where are the others?" he bellowed as he lunged at me.

"Not so fast, laddie!" I intercepted his attack deftly, bending his arms behind and put the gun to his head.

"Kill me." he whimpered. I knew I had to use threat, if coercion didn't work.

"Dead or alive. You're coming with me, hun." I chuckled.

The fight died in him completely.

I blew my whistle and a rope crashed into the room through the window.

A/N 500 words completed.