Chapter 1

Tulip's POV

"Tulip!" I hear my mom calling my name from downstairs "You're late for your school!!"

"I'm coming!!" I shout back still lying on the bed "Urghh!!"

I get up and balance on my elbows and glare at the door. I don't want to get up this early at all. I mean I'm excited that I am going to school getting education and all but it's just that my mind isn't into business. I love building stuff. But my parents kinda don't like their daughter go on building things. They want me to get in business sector which is totally not cool with me. Besides, waking up early has become my nemesis. Back in Cornerstore nobody literally gave a damn about me except a few birds who weren't storks and had different jobs. I kinda felt misfit over there because I should because I'm a human and they're birds.

"Honey?" Dad knocks on the door before opening the door. He paces towards me "Well, you're late. Don't you wanna go to school?"

"Dad" I sigh running my fingers in my wild red hair "It's just that I hate getting up early, you know"

"Well, Tulip" Dad gives me a slight smile sitting on the edge of my bed "I know the last 18 years of your life were different and I can understand how hard it is to get adjusted to a sudden change but nobody's going to wait for you. You need to learn the ways of..you know the world your living in"

"Geez, dad you speak as if I came from medieval period. It's just that I have trouble communicating with humans" I say getting up and slumping. "I never seem to fit in here too"

"You need more time, sweetheart" Dad smiles gently at me laying his hand on my shoulder.

"But you also told that people won't wait for a longer time" I exhale frustratingly.

"But that doesn't mean you have stop working on it" Dad stands up "Now, be a good girl. Get ready, I'll drop you off to the school on my way"

"Dad, I'm not kid anymore. I can go by myself" I stretch my arms and swipe the hair out of my face.

Sadness washes over his face "I know and I never got to drop you to school or watch you grow or take you out for your favourite concerts before. I'm just trying to make up for all this loss before you grow older"

It pains me to hear him say that and I hug him "I love you, Dad. I'm always gonna be your little girl. You can drop me off"

My classmates laugh at me anyway. It's been almost four months and the story is still the same. Although I wanted to find my parents and live a life in this human society I get whipped with the nostalgia of the stork mountain.

Not that I had a great time over there. Being called 'orphan Tulip' and enduring Hunter's cold glare I think I didn't have any real fun there but what really hurts me the most is being treated just the same over here.

I grin at dad and he smiles back. I zoom past him to the bathroom and turn the shower on. I let the hot water hit my body and wash off the leftover sleep my body was still holding on to. I quickly pull a pair of jeans and a pink t shirt.

I tie my hair up in my usual way and do a bit of makeup my cousins had taught me.

I hear Chips, our ginger cat padding into my room mewing.

"Hey there Chips!" I smile at her as she jumps on my bed and lays on the disheveled bed. "How do you do?"

"Meow" she replies and starts licking herself clean.

I blink at the mirror to check out if my eyeliner is perfect. Yeah, it's somewhat perfect but not so horrible than the last time. I take one more glance at the mirror grab my bag slinging off the chair and run out.

Mom glares at me when she sees me sitting at the dining table.

"You are late again, young lady!"

"I'm sorry, mom!" I sigh.

Mom glances at Dad and he tries to avoid her eyes. Apparently, she was trying to tell him something which dad was definitely avoiding to listen.

Mom passes me the breakfast and I dig into it.

"Well" Dad begins poking at his food with the fork "You're gonna come home directly from school today, aren't you?"

"No I guess" I chew spoonful. "I've got to go out with Jasper. There's something wrong with beacons recently they're giving the wrong addresses. They're investigating it"

"Err.. that's uh" dad glances at mom "That's cool. But didn't you go for the same reason some weeks ago?"

I glance up "It happened again, I guess. But it doesn't matter. I have to meet Jasper. I've made plans with him"

Dad opens his mouth and hesitates. "Well...I don't think.. it's uh.."

"What your dad is trying to tell you, Tulip" mom smacks her hand against the table lightly "Is that he doesn't want you to hang out with Jasper anymore"

I snap my head at her and gape at her "What do you mean? I can't just stop hanging out with Jasper!"

"Yes, you can" mom insists.

"But why?!" I throw up my hands in despair.

"Because.. he's not like you..or us" mom claims. "Because he's a bird! A stork!"

"But mom he's the one who got me here!!" I push my chair behind and jolt up.

"Now Tulip" dad coughs.

"You're forgetting he's the reason why we had to live without you for eighteen years!"

I huff. "Bye, mom" I sling my backpack and stomp out of the house.

"Tulip!" I hear my dad calling out for me but I'm already out of the house slamming the door behind me.

I can't believe mom said something like that. Why doesn't she get that storks are my better friends than humans. After what happened with Hunter and the one million babies I gained more popularity and respect and acceptance on the Stork mountain. Well, at least, nobody called me Orphan Tulip anymore. Just Tulip.

But I had to come here to stay with my parents. Because I wanted to. I love my parents. It's not that I don't like staying here. But staying here means I have to stay away from Junior too. And I kinda miss him a lot.

Junior would visit me once a week but he got busy with the whole thing of being the Boss. While the company changed back to its old duty of delivering babies many storks had lost the glimpse of what it's like to deliver babies. Especially new workers. And it kinda made Junior focus more on training, preparing and teaching the young workers on how important their primary duty of delivering babies in the planet Earth is.

We don't even talk much. And I don't blame him. Because I'm trying too hard to fit in that I barely have any time for anything. My cousins come over and take me outside to try new stuff. It's fun actually. But when Jasper comes over I have to give him time because he's my best friend.

Only Jasper knows what my life has been here and no matter what soaring through the clouds sitting on his back would always make me feel better. And now my parents don't want me to hang out with him.

Wow. Just wow!