Gentlemanliness is Also Measured on How Fast You Execute the Act

Chapter 5: Gentlemanliness is Also Measured on How Fast You Execute the Act

It was one cold night. The weather report said that there was no storm but the rain was pouring angrily and the wind was blowing hard through every openings and seams of the house.

In the midst of the silent dimness, there was a clattering sound that can be heard. Kamui, who was lying on his new bed –the couch, had no choice but to be disrupted in his sleep.

“Kagura-chan,” he called softly as he knocked on her makeshift room. “Are you okay there?”

She didn’t answer but she opened her door and her pitiful appearance greeted him.

“I knew it.” The lad smiled upon seeing her cooped up, shivering and her teeth clattering. She was covered by a blanket but he could imagine her hugging her knees inside it. Without wasting any more second, he lifted the blanket he was carrying and placed it over her to double her shield from the cold.

“W-w-what are y-you doing?” she asked as he made his move.

“Taking care of my sister,” he replied casually, grinning at her. After fixing the blanket he placed, he gave her head a few gentle strokes before saying, “Sweet dreams, imouto.”

With that, he closed the door and went back to his couch. He felt the coldness himself, now that he had lost his blanket, but he figured it was manageable. That was when he heard a muffled thud sound like something big yet not so heavy was dropped onto the wooden floor. Lying on his back, he didn’t notice any movement around so he shrugged it off as Gintoki in the other room probably wrestling himself as he sleeps.

He turned to his left, facing the backrest of the sofa to find better comfort that would put him back to sleep. That was when something surprised him.

Having felt a presence behind him, he turned around and saw someone who was about to share a pillow with him. “Ari?~” He could only watch as she lied down and pulled two layers of blankets over the two of them.

“You’re really sweet, aren’t you?” He commented, facing the ceiling. He tried to sound neutral but he couldn’t stop himself from smiling.

“I just don’t want to be the bully with two blankets here,” Kagura replied impassively without sparing him a glance. She was lying on her side, her back faced on him, while hugging her pillow.

“Is Sadaharu going to be alright there alone?” He rubbed his cheek, feeling shy for no reason.

“He’s big and furry enough,” she replied flatly.