chapter three

"Look," Natalia laughed, as we were both sprawled out across my bed, "We were both drunk, I didn't expect it to happen!"

"But it still happened! You kissed Billy Hargrove and you've got two witnesses!" I mocked, pointing at her, "You can't tell me that you still don't fancy him now!" Her cheeks went a bright red, as she turned on her side, hugging a pillow.

"I just got a bit lost in the moment," she blushed, "I'm sure he's like that with all the girls!"

"Nat, I've known you pretty much all my life. I can tell when a boy tickles your fancy, and this one certainly has!" I explained.

"I mean," she sighed, taking a long pause, "the feelings are there, I just- don't know how real it all is at the moment. We were both heavily drunk and I don't know how he really feels!"

"A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts," I sighed, "you know that's what they say, so I'm pretty sure you both meant it! You'd be lying to yourself if you said you didn't have feelings for him, because it's pretty evident, and he probably wants something with you, I'm certain of it!" She once again went rosy red in the cheeks, as a goofy smile formed on her face.

"I guess... I just don't know this boy extremely well yet, I can tell he has a lot to hide," Natalia sighed, "but it may be worth seeing how it all works out!"

"That's the spirit, get out there and do your thing!" I laughed, getting under the covers of my bed as I hugged the duvet.

"Enough about me though, what's up with you and Steve now?" Natalia rolled over to face me, with an evident look of interest in her face.

"Nothing's changed!" I bit my lip, "Nancy ended it with him first of all-"

"They broke up?" She interrupted, sitting up as her jaw hung wide open.

"Nancy called it off or something, said the whole relationship was bullshit," I scoffed, as Natalia lied back down in pure shock, "anyways, me and Steve basically just had a nice chat about life, he said he wanted for me and him to be friends, and we spoke about relationship stuff, that was it really." I explained, purposely leaving out the part where he jokingly tried to kiss me, as I knew it would start something.

"What kind of relationship stuff?" Natalia frowned.

"Well, I told him about my fear of commitment pretty much, I guess we did open up to each other a little bit, but I still don't like him in that way!" I said clearly. Although even I wasn't sure how true that was anymore.

"You totally friend zoned each other, I'm disappointed really!" Natalia frowned, rubbing her eyes in tiredness.

"You know I don't need a man," I smiled, "I'll just be here, supporting you with your upcoming relationship, whist Steve will most likely win back Nancy. It's all good." But was it?

We both begun yawning in exhaustion, so I went over to the light to turn it out, as we both settled down try and sleep off the thoughts and excessive alcohol.

"Night Nat," I yawned, "love you!"

"Night Brook, love you too!" She replied, before we fell into a deep, deep sleep.

******************

Monday had soon come around once again, as the fresh new month dawned from the east. The orange-tinted sunrise shone over the buildings of Hawkins, casting shadows across the roads. The cold wind threw autumnal leaves across the city, as the residents wrapped up warm.

The sky was still hints of orange and pink, as Natalia rode us both to school. The radio quietly played an old tune from the speakers of the car, as I admired the festive nature from the passenger window, sipping on a scorching cup of coffee. The bags under my eyes were evident, as I had previously tried to cover them up with makeup.