C o m p e n s a t i o n

I got my MRI results back. I have a torn MCL and a sprained ACL. The Orthopedic appointment is today, and since my parents couldn't make it Lia insists on going with me.

"I can go to an appointment by myself. You don't have to do this."

"Do you want to go by yourself? I want to be there for support, but if you don't want me to come I understand."

I sigh, pulling her into a hug. "Thank you. And of course I want you there, but if you have other things to do-"

"My plans for today are eat, sleep, and maybe watch some TV. I think my schedules pretty open."

"Okay, well we'll eat after the appointment. Then you're welcome to sleep or watch TV at my place."

"Sounds good," she says as she climbs into my car.

The appointment takes forever to start. Apparently, the doctor's running behind, and so far they're half an hour behind. I'm glad Lia came along now, because we've spent the time telling funny stories about our past. She tells me about the time she got caught going to a party and was literally dragged out, and I tell her about the time I ran over a road sign because I didn't feel like listening to Drake and tried to change the song.

The doctor finally comes in about 45 minutes late and apologizes. Because she's so behind, she makes it quick and to the point.

"So, you have a torn MCL and sprained ACL-" she points out where both of these are in the knee. "I'll have to do a couple tests to see just how bad it is." She asks me to lay back and bend my knee so she can push the bottom of my leg out. When I feel a shift in the side of my knee, I cringe. "Does that hurt?"

"Not really, but it feels weird."

"You probably felt where your MCL isn't connected anymore," she explains as she sits down. "The good thing is, you won't need surgery. It'll heal on its own. But do you play any sports?"

"I play basketball."

"You'll need to be out for at least eight weeks, so you can heal all the way. I know it might be hard to hear, but if you don't take this time to let it heal you can re-tear it and then you will need surgery."

My heart drops. Eight weeks. That's basically until the end of the season. I guess I will have to work extra hard senior year, like my dad said.

After I get a knee brace actually meant for my injury, we're good to go. I take Lia to a diner nearby so we can eat. After we order our drinks, Lia reaches across and takes both my hands comfortingly. "You haven't said anything since we left the office. You okay?"

I close my eyes and push back my frustration. "Yeah, I'm fine. I already knew I might be out for the playoffs, but I had false hope and I didn't expect two months. Plus this big thing on my leg is annoying," I say, referring to my new brace. They decided to give me one that went from mid thigh to mid calf with metal things on the sides, and I have to wear it 24/7 (minus showers). This brace is a lot sturdier than the cheap on I had, and it's making my leg ache where I hurt it.

"I wish I could do something to make you feel better. I hate that this is happening."

"It's not that bad, I'll get over it. At least it's not a career ending injury," I shrug.

"Yeah, I'm glad. And I'm sure two months will go by quicker than you think."

"Sure, but the season will still be over at the end." She gets quiet and I can tell she feels defeated. Here she is, trying to comfort me and I keep shutting her down. "Thank you again for being here. It means a lot."

"You're welcome," she says, giving me a small smile.

"I don't see why you sat all the way over there," I say, feeling bold.

"What do you mean?"

"Why'd you sit across from me? You could've sat over here."

She laughs and gets up to come over to my side of the booth. I scoot over to give her room and she slides in. "Better?"

"Well..."

"What?"

"You could be closer."

Playfully rolling her eyes, she scoots over until our sides are touching. "This is as close as I can get without sitting on your lap."

"I mean-"

"There is not enough room under this table for all that," she immediately shuts me down, laughing and shaking her head.

I slide my arm around her waist and lay my cheek on top of her head. "This is good enough. I'm feeling better already."

"Corny," she laughs. She turns to face me and the air suddenly feels thicker. We haven't even been dating a week, so we haven't gotten around to kissing yet and really, I've never been more stressed about kissing someone before. I don't know why, I'm just scared I'll mess up the first kiss someway somehow. "Can I tell you something?"

"Shoot."

"I've actually... never dated anyone before. You're my first official boyfriend."

"No way," I say, shaking my head. Way to add on to the pressure. "Why?"

She shrugs, "No one's ever asked me out before."

I raise a brow at that. I don't see why no one would've asked her out before. "You must've in-"

"Intimidated them? Yeah, I know. I've heard that speech enough times."

"Well, this makes me feel special. Now I gotta make sure I'm the best first boyfriend you could ever have."

She smiles and leans into me. "That shouldn't be too hard for you."