Chapter 1

The offer was the best she had received, An essential cease-fire? it seemed too good to be true and yet Fintan was here telling her that her friends and family need never be hurt again.

"And what do you want in return?" She asked, her eyebrows knitted together as she stared him down.

"All I want is my daughter's loyalty." Fintan had his arms spread wide as if receiving an embrace, a warm smile spread across his features.

"You want me to willingly join the Neverseen? When has that ever worked out for you?" she spat, disgust written across her features. Fintan laughed and looked at her knowingly.

"Picture this Sophie, You are the right hand of the Neverseen, innocent people are about to be hurt, with a wave of your hand they go free. How does that sound?" Fintan's eyes flashed as he smiled broadly again Sophie straightened and dropped her blade to her side, gazing at him in animosity.

"The council won't give control willingly, how do you plan to take over the Lost Cities without violence?" She asked, a smug smile playing across her face as she thought she found a weakness in his plan.

"Well you, my dear, you are the key, the people don't rally behind the council! They rally behind you! If you are seen as the leader of the Neverseen a new light will be cast on us. We will be seen as heroes come to sweep up the mess the council and The Black Swan have incurred upon these cities! You are my Legacy Sophie" His eyes practically glowed with pride as he talked about his Legacy.

"Just like that?" she asked, one eyebrow cocked in surprise. Fintan nodded slowly.

"Just like that," he confirmed lightly, her posture lost all of its tension as she thought it over. No more unnecessary injuries, no more undo violence, she could control everything from the inside of the enemy. Most importantly, her friends would be safe, her parents would be safe. Keefe would be safe. As long as she was alive she could keep them safe. It would never be permanent, eventually, she would get out but only after she toppled the organization from the inside, then and only then would there truly be peace.

"Anything I ask, whether it interferes with your plan if I say no it doesn't happen, correct?" She asked with curious eyes.

"Whatever you ask," Fintan replied with a bow as he held out his hand, Sophie stepped forward and took it, swiftly yanking him forward so they were face to face.

"If you go back on your word, If you deviate from it by even a letter, you're dead." She hissed determinedly though instead of seeming worried at her outburst, Fintan's mouth curled into a smile.

"I expected nothing less from my daughter." He sneered as he pulled something from his pocket, a leaping crystal except it was black, and not shiny black but a perfect matte black.

"Magsidian?" She asked as she turned it in her gloved hand.

"No, something far more special," he replied with a wink. The only leaping crystals that were black were the ones that lead to Exile or Loamnore but this crystal seemed different, ominous, and eerie.

She turned it over in her hand and held it up to the light next to Fintan's, Fintan disappeared in a sparkly haze though before she could go anywhere the sliding of rocks caught her attention, she whipped around to see what was approaching, the sight of her fiancé made her heart sink. Keefe was the only person who would have any chance of changing her mind. He raised his hands as he approached, his eyes firmly on the inky black crystal in her hand.

"Whatever he promised you, Sophie, you know it's not true. You know that don't you?" he asked, his eyes pleading.

"If he goes back on his words he's dead but he's promised me peace!" she answered her eyes downcast in the snow her emotions swelling. Keefe's eyes widened and his mouth settled into a firm line.

"We have peace already Sophie! Look at me, please look at me, love..." He pleaded stepping forward and placing a hand under her chin to raise her gaze to his. Tears were pooling now and she bit her lip as she shook her head, stepping back and out of his touch.

"It's not enough Keefe, they're not dead! At least this way I can control them, please understand, I love you more than life Keefe and if anything happened to you...I couldn't live with myself. If you died I would kill myself" she reasoned, aguish struck across his features as he took in her words. He turned so his back was facing her and ran his hand down his face and looked off at the distant mountains before turning back to her, tears in his eyes.

"Don't say that...Don't you dare say that." He growled, working his jaw to keep his emotions in check.

"I'm sorry but it's true." She clenched her teeth and stiffened standing up straight.

"Is this about what he told you, that you are his Legacy." Keefe seethed, eyes dangerously narrowed, she knew he hated that sentence too much for words. "Because you don't owe him a damn thing Sophie, blood isn't always thicker than water. Grady, Edaline...Me! We are your true family, his blood may run through your veins but that does not make him family." Keefe argued and Sophie nodded.

"You're right you are my family," Sophie mumbled her eyes were distant and Keefe sighed in relief and went to embrace her but she spoke again. "But I'm not doing this for family." She pushed him back into the snow sending him tumbling a little way down the slope, she raised her crystal to the light and for one final moment, his eyes met hers, and then she was gone.