<1> The Human Mind Is Truly The Scariest Thing Of All

The human mind is truly the scariest thing of all.

What a cliche. What a stupidly ominous sentence. Something that sounds like a horrible starting to a tacky horror movie trailer. Meant to put us on the edge of our seats, when in reality it's only mocked in a silly voice for our laugh friends to laugh along at.

Such a stupid little thing; but such a stupid little thing to ignore.

Our minds are the single most thing keeping us together and alive, and at the same time the single most thing that can hollow us out, kill our senses slowly. You can run and hide all you want, yet you can't hide from something that is you. You can't hide from yourself. How tough.

Neil is one person who can tell you this truthfully. For almost a decade of his life all he did was bury his own trail, cover his own tracks. Make a new person, only for that person to be a memory when he soon moved on as the next.

Neil hid from himself, but he also hid from his father. Someone who made him fear his own reflection — since all he saw was the cruel murderous man that created him himself.

Andrew was worse though. Neil could run and escape, had escaped.

Andrew was a prisoner.

Trapped in his own head, no emotions to be let out, hardly a word further. All anyone saw when they looked at him was an apathetic monster. No one saw the boy hidden under years of ceaseless abuse and broken trust.

Andrew would never admit it, he would take it to the grave, but he was jealous of Neil.

Jealous the auburn-haired male could still smile and laugh, genuinely, without the violent shove of medication. Jealous that his sparkling yet icy eyes could melt with warmth when directed at someone or something he loved. And jealous that Neil could tell that someone he did love them.

Andrew couldn't. Couldn't do any of that.

Andrew had never had a way with words. More seen to speak through actions. So Andrew would try. And you could not call that blonde anything if not stubborn.

It was late September and the Exy players now were officially on a week off. It was a Friday and the following week would be a break from games in preparation for the launching Northern Hemisphere cup.

Andrew and Neil would have the dorm to themselves after convincing Kevin he wouldn't be brutally slaughtered if he went to visit his girlfriend for the off-game week, all free from hardcore practice.

The rain poured heavily as Andrew and Neil arrived back from dropping off the grumpy dark haired male at the airport. The two of them heading straight for their dorm; tired from the demanding game the foxes played a couple hours previous.

Andrew sauntered in through the door and began taking off his boots. Followed by a soggy Neil in a much less sophisticated way.

"You're getting water on the carpet," Andrew said in his usual calm, monotoned voice, easily obscuring his amusement.

"And whose fault would that be?" Neil accused and when he was given no response, continued, "you purposely parked me in a puddle, and then didn't even share the umbrella!"

"Never." Andrew said, heavily sarcastic. And while Neil would have normally been quietly ecstatic that Andrew was using humour, he felt now was an inappropriate time for Andrew to start his career in dry comedy. So he glared at the shorter man and stomped over to the couch, which he promptly collapsed onto. Closing his eyes.

Andrew looked at him for a moment, hidden smirk, and wandered off to the bedroom where he swapped his black skinny jeans for comfortable dark grey sweats.

He returned shortly to find nothing had changed. Exciting. So, decideding that, he too, wanted a nap, he padded over to the couch,

"Are you asleep."

Neil popped one eye open to glare, "why? Am I in your way?"

"No." Which was true, Andrew was just debating whether it would be taken happily if he went and flopped on Neil. Determining he didn't care, he did just that; grabbing a fluffy blanket off the coffee table to take with him.

Oof, was the sound the unsuspecting striker made as Andrew flopped himself and all his 5 foot nothing's might on top of Neil. The blonde laid head on Neil's chest, comfortable, and purposefully ignoring Neil's look of surprise.

Andrew could practically feel Neil's eyes melting at him and he hated it. Hated the way it made his stomach to weird acrobat routines. Hated the way he could do it so easily when Andrew could never.

"Stop looking at me like that," Andrew spoke, muffled into Neil's sweatshirt.

"I'm not," Neil tired, obviously lying. So Andrew moved his head to glare and Neil folded.

"You hate being touched," Neil said pointedly and confused after a moments standoff. Andrew bother answering, he just replaced his head in it's previous position getting ready for his nap.

"So-does-uh-can... I..?" Neil stumbled then trailed off; and once he received no answer; hesitantly wove his arms around Andrew waist.

Andrew made no objections.

Neil could tell he was trying. Trying to Neil let in. Trying to show he wasn't the monster people thought he was. Horrible and dangerous. And that deep down, he might even be capable of something seeming so foreign as love. This though warmed Neil's heart beyond belief. He pressed a light kiss to Andrew forehead and received a grunt in response.

"If this makes you think I've forgotten you dried to drown me-" The marred boy threatened emptily. Referring to the apparently swimming pool sized hole Andrew may or may not have purposefully parked next to.

Then when he may or may not have refused to share umbrellas.

"Stop smiling so big and I'll believe that," Andrew commented, the same calm, monotone voice, but still, Andrew knew that Neil could see through that.

Sure it scared him shitless. To let someone see through his thick prison walls. Let someone inside his head. But Andrew thought that maybe, it was ok, for once in his life. That Neil had proven his worth time and time again. That even this lying, deceiving, dumbass junkie could, just maybe, be trusted.

Andrew knew it might take years for the metal prison door to open, but maybe with a push and a shove from each side he could be let free. And Neil could have him the way he has Neil.

Neil knew this.

Things take time, and by God was Neil willing to wait. See the day, if ever, that Andrew gives him a true smile, even broken and all. Because The human mind is truly the scariest thing of all but maybe being afraid is what keeps you alive and feeling after all.

Sorry when I just don't upload for ages, it's disclaimed that they we gonna be slow updates.  I kinda only write when I feel like it, which is rare. But I hope you enjoyed it regardless, feel free to comment any mistakes or any prompts and ideas you want me to write. Anyway, I hope you have a nice day/night wherever you are <3