<7> Youth Pt.2

-Recap-

Neil had come back.

Well, I've lost it all I'm just a silhouette
I'm a lifeless face that you'll soon forget
And my eyes are damp from the words you left
Ringing in my head when you broke my chest

The breakage in the clouds parted further, letting more of the moon's stolen light through, crawling past open blinds. Andrew and Neil were one silhouette against the pale light, so intimate for such broken beings. They stood for a while before they move apart; reluctantly — their minds supply.

Neil wipes his eye on the sleeve of his grey jumper — he never seemed to stray away from boring colours and Andrew, though he would never admit it, liked the way it let Neil shine through. The bright cerulean eyes, soft auburn curls, tanned skin kissed by the sun as much as harsher things too — Dashboard lighters and sharp knives among a few — could never be muted out by the soft tones.

How Andrew had ever been so cruel to hurt the one he so firmly offered protection was a mystery to himself. His head ached just trying come up with a justified response; like there could be one.

Neil's face was blank when theirs gazes met, but Andrew could see the way the strikers eyes shone with something Andrew didn't like.

Don't leave again, Andrew wanted to tell him, yet he didn't. It seemed all his words were saved for saying things he shouldn't. Neil himself could see pain clear as day in Andrew's golden irises, he knew Andrew hadn't meant what he said but the foxes taught him it was okay to hurt.

"I'll sleep on the couch tonight," Neil whispered, turning to grab his pillow and slipping out of the room before Andrew could say otherwise. Stupid Neil and his unnecessary selfishness. Andrew's chest weighed down with something so wrong to feel, his ears rung with faint murmurs of what he should have said, yet didn't. He fell into his cold empty bed alone.

He hated this.

And if you're in love then you are the lucky one.
'Cause most of us are bitter over someone
Setting fire to our insides for fun
To distract our hearts from ever missing them
But I'm forever missing him

And you caused it
And you caused it
And you caused it

-Recap end-

Andrew sat scrunched up on the floor next to the bed, discarding any more futile minutes spent chasing a sleep that was never coming. His knees were brought up to his chest and his arms were draped atop the grey fabric. It wasn't a very 'Andrew-like' pose in hindsight, but nor was he feeling very 'Andrew-like' in itself — an alien emotion that he couldn't bring himself to name just yet swirled uncomfortably in his chest.

His cold, hazel eyes pierced the glass of the window and trained firmly on the dark and blank sky overhead. It wasn't interesting or eye-drawing, but it did it's work grounding him busying his eyes with something to look at.