Fifteen

Alan rubbed his temples, squeezing his eyes shut as he paced around the living room. "Let me get this straight: they arrested you because there was a misunderstanding. They thought you were involved in a crime, but it was a case of mistaken identity... But none of this had anything to do with renegade androids, nor with Lenora's electronic vault being down." 

"Yep, great job repeating what I said," I snarked, wanting this conversation to be done already for multiple reasons. 

For one, I hated lying to my brother and he'd start poking holes in my story when giving enough time. He'd already third degreed me yesterday evening together with Mom and Dad when he found me on the doorstep. I couldn't take another round. 

Second, I was anxious about Ava or Zed finding the tag outside finished and finding me. 

There hadn't been a sign of life from them thus far, but I assumed they were waiting for the right time to approach me. Either that, or they knew I had a microchip shot into my arm by those military guys and that complicated things. No, they must've known I wouldn't be allowed to wander free without any sort of surveillance. 

Alan sighed deeply, and turned to the mirror to comb his hair into that gelled back businessman hairdo of his. It aged him up like five years, but I suppose that was exactly what he was going for. 

"You know I don't believe a thing of what you just said." Alan frowned at me in the mirror. "But I'll let you off the hook since you probably signed a non disclosure agreement at the station." 

"I'm not allowed to talk about it," I mockingly shot back. 

Alan grumbled. "Just don't get in the way of my role in the festival, and I'm not going to complain. You're sure you're completely out of trouble now, yes?"

It was my turn to grumble. My brother, my own blood and flesh, was going to be a festival host, which meant he'd be guiding important guests across the campus and spouting lies between his teeth about android. Great stuff.

"Yeah, yeah," I replied dismissively. "I'm staying out of your way." 

"Good, let's go then." Alan stepped away from the mirror. "You can't afford to miss any more classes." 

I wished I could afford it, because that'd mean I didn't have to be around the nightmare fuel circus that was the Singularity War festival. For obvious reasons involving getting locked up at a military base, I'd completely forgotten about the events that would take place at Lenora's campus this week. 

I was in for a rude awakening. When Alan and I arrived at campus, it immediately looked like high blood pressure and anger all around for me for the rest of the day. The posters I'd seen on Alan's computer, the ones depicting androids as monster soldiers without emotions, were on the walls everywhere I looked, even outside on the electronic billboards. 

As I had promised Alan, I left him alone to do his stupid host things. There weren't many non-propaganda places left at Lenora's, but at least the lecture hall was free from posters, flyers, and other nonsense announcing events, demonstrations, documentary showings, and other shit. 

A brief respite, because for once I wouldn't be reminded of the choice hanging over my head, or so I thought. 

Zekiye came walking into the lecture hall, spotted me, froze for a second, then walked over with her lips pursed in disapproval. 

"You," she greeted me none to friendly. She pointed her index finger at me as she lowered herself in the chair next to mine. "Where have you been the past few days?" 

I shrugged and recited the story the exact way I'd memorised it at the military base.  "Got caught up in a police investigation. A robbery and a case of mistaken identity. It's all good now."