Part 3

On my first Scottish morning I woke up disoriented. Everything around me was foreign, the room, the furniture, the cold. The drop in temperature from my native Texas was brutal.

It took me several minutes to get my bearings, my brain reeling from jet lag. A shower later, I remembered that I didn't bring extra clothing and proceeded to explore the wardrobe. Nothing.

Shivering, I tightened the belt of my robe and dug out the flight's complimentary slippers. Unless Eoghan's boss intended for me to remain naked, leading to a swift death by hypothermia, there ought to be something for me to wear in the multiple packages stored in the pantry.

Luckily, I was right. I climbed back the stairs charged like a mule, and dropped my burden on the bed. After tearing the wrappings open, I seconded Eoghan's opinion. His boss was indeed a nature obsessed freak.

Nothing but natural fibers, of all sorts. A profusion of organic cotton, linen, wool and even silk, the latter under the form of elegant lingerie and nightwear, sexy yet classy. Uneasiness crept over me at the thought of this unknown man selecting undergarments for me. Hopefully, he dropped the chore on a personal shopper.

There was no plastic, no metal of any kind, no elastic bands. Buttons were horn or mother of pearl, panties had bikini ties or drawstrings, and bras were laced at the front. Shoes were leather, with the exception of a pair of kaki green garden boots in real latex. This was really pushing it to the extreme.

I found a bag of organic beauty products, which I used, and picked a basic set of undies, a tee-shirt and a jean. I added a cream jumper and woolly socks, and savored the thawing of my limbs.

My first attempt at cooking porridge ended up with a boiled over puddle on the cooker and a watery sludge in the pot. The taste was horrendous, the texture even worse. My father used to say I could burn water. He was mildly exaggerating.

The second try yielded better results. I ignored the recipe on the bag and improvised, using milk instead of water and adding ground almonds and honey. It turned out quite nice, so once my offering in place, I made a plate for myself. It wasn't as good as my usual cereals, but it was warm and filling. By the time I figured out the coffee maker, Eoghan was walking in.

"Hi there, care for some leftover porridge and freshly brewed coffee?"

"No thanks, I already had breakfast. Mary would divorce me if I ate another woman's cuisine." He winked and I stifled a laugh. He dipped a finger in the pot and licked it. "Now girl, I don't know what this is, but it ain't porridge. You're gonna spoil those brownies rotten, and I'll have to deal with their disappointment after you're gone."

This time I couldn't stop the giggles. "You'll survive. Have Mary cook it. They'll love it."

"She won't. She hates the stuff. Meet me outside when you're ready, I want to introduce you to the herd. Don't forget your gloves!"

I gawked at the dozen horses, frolicking in a field overlooking the beach. All males, with shiny coats ranging from cream to dark grey, matching mane, no markings. As I tiptoed closer, I noticed an ugly bald areas, saucer sized, on each left shoulder. What had been done to these beautiful creatures?

They froze at our approach, neighing, one of them beating the ground with a hoof. Eoghan raised his hands and whistled. They seemed to calm a little and inched towards us warily, ready to bolt at any sudden movement.

"Easy boys, easy," he said softly, "come meet our new friend."

I remained as immobile as I could, trying my best to look inoffensive. I smiled at them and spoke sotto voce: "I've got treats for you, can you smell them?" I had taken the time to dice a carrot and two apples, and the bite-size bribes filled the pockets of my windbreaker.