Home (13)

So Cute~

Hermione let her footfalls thump heavily against the grass, feeling the sun beat down on her back, her limbs feeling heavy from the heat and walking. Despite the late night, Snape had woken her up at the same early hour, packed up camp, and led the way across Wales. Hermione was starting to seriously question whether walking around, trying to find an abandoned house to appropriate was really the best idea. There HAD to be some better way to choose a hideout.

"Professor, can we rest for a minute?" She huffed, wiping the back of her neck, and glaring balefully up at the clear blue sky. It had promised rain that morning, and the clouds had cleared away by midday, leaving them under the sun, which wasn't bad in the shade, but right overhead, after a few hours of walking, felt like she was being cooked.

"We can rest as soon as we reach those trees. No need to stay out in the open." He ordered, tirelessly marching forward. Hermione groaned, but kept after him, staring at her feet as she went, grumbling.

"Granger."

She looked up, noting his terse tone, and looked ahead at him, scanning the area for danger. He was staring straight ahead, at nothing.

"What is it, Professor? Did you see something?" She crept close to him, still scanning the edges of the field.

"That house..."He pointed where he was staring, and Hermione looked from him, confused, to the empty field.

"I don't-" Her words cut off as she stepped up next to him, the tingle of magic humming across her skin, just as a house loomed suddenly ahead. "It's warded." She guessed, looking around them once more. There was also a shed, just a few meters to their left, and she looked over at Snape, worried.

"It's likely a wizard's house. We should go back, before we're seen." He suggested, his hand gripping her arm, his tight hold making her worry even more. He was nervous, the large house ahead of them held his attention, but before he could take a step back, the door of the shed opened, and they had a wand pointed at them. Hermione drew her own, but in a flash, it was pulled from her fingers, and landed on the ground between them and the man who had appeared.

"What's your business here?" The stranger asked, his hand steady as he aimed his wand now at Snape, who held his arm out, keeping Hermione mostly behind his own body. She peeked around his shoulder, taking in the grey-haired man, the tattered wizard's robes he wore, the defensive gleam in his eyes.

"We have no business here. We were simply hiking, and came upon your home. We were just about to leave." Snape answered tersely, never taking his eyes off of the man.

"Came upon me by accident? I don't believe that, not for one second. Why don't you tell me what your master wants, Death Eater?" The man sounded nasty, his head tilting higher, his eyes flashing to Snape's left arm. Hermione glanced down, and saw what the man did. Snape's sleeves were rolled up, and the Dark Mark was just visible before he tucked it into his side, hiding it from view.

"You're... You're hiding from You-Know-Who?" Hermione asked from behind Snape, trying to ignore the fluttery feeling in her chest as he stepped sideways with her, keeping himself between her and the wand. She knew he'd chalk the protectiveness up to his life-debt, but something told her it was more than that, he just didn't want her to get hurt.

"None of your business, girly. Aren't you supposed to be a wanted criminal, anyway? What'd they Imperius you?" He asked, his piercing gaze catching enough of her face and hair to discern her identity. Hermione glanced up at Snape, then back at the man.

"Tell him you're not with Volde-"

"Shh!" Snape nearly hissed, flinching at the name, and glaring at her. "Don't say it! Have you forgotten it's been made Taboo?"