Prologue: Seven Runes

Once there was only nothingness. A pristine universe void of existence. It remained until seven singularities came into play. From cosmic forces came seven striking, mystical figures. Much like the spirits of nature, any one of them is potent . . . yet untouchable.

These powerful figures, each bearing elemental hues of their own, were strongly bound to diverse facets of existence. Possession of one could fortify a planet; ownership of seven could annihilate the entire cosmos.

Long-lived races vowed to protect each figure in which they soon called Runes.

Time. The rune that holds sway over what was and what will. If possessed, it allows its beholder to rewind and fast-forward time, altering futures.

Psyche. The rune that boasts wisdom. It grants its protector control over the mind, inflicting psychic harm and remedying it. Omniscience, it offers.

Light. The rune that stimulates sight and makes vision plausible. Acquiring it means harnessing qualities of light; its speed, force, radiance, and might.

Space. The rune that gives dimensions for existence. Bending space enables its user to warp portals; summon and teleport objects across the universe.

Matter. The rune that yields physical substances that occupy space. Power to manipulate matter at will, rewriting reality, is what it presents to its keeper.

Energy. The rune that sustains light, matter, and work. It bestows upon its user abilities to manipulate, absorb, and project energy at a cosmic level.

Life. The rune that allows existence to thrive. What it gives to its protector is the authority to cure, injure, take, and trap someone else's life force and soul.

In an attempt at keeping these Runes shielded from the hands of evil, elders dispersed each of them throughout the universe, guarding them in their respective domains. Harmony reigned.

Sheathing them was an endless utopia until greed rose in the face of Zyghore.

He is the protector of the Rune of Space who marauded the cosmos to steal the other Runes, so he can assume divinity.

Millennia passed but none was stolen.

Many believed that the runic search was over. No more threat shall hover.

Unbeknownst to them, the search had never halted but was rather delayed.

The cosmic slayer will soon come to collect what he believes is his to care.

The Runes of the Rare.

***

Note: I am a hardcore (!) MCU fan and I have taken a number of references from the movies, but I tried my best to keep this story as authentic as possible. In making the Seven Runes, aside from maintaining its logical accuracy, I have also taken inspiration from this verse:

"In the beginning (Time) was the Word (Psyche), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. All the things (Space, Matter, Energy) were created through Him and without Him, nothing was made that has been made. In Him was (Life), and the Life was the (Light) of men." - From the book of John 1:1-5