Part 6

On the stage and under the flashing lights, Lily moved her body with grace and precision. Their dance troupe had chosen her as their main dancer, and I was glad that she had that opportunity. People cheered and clapped for her, and for one moment, I was tempted to yell, "That's my best friend!"

The program lasted for half a day, but each performer didn't fail to give entertainment to the audience. Tension rose when the host climbed back up to announce the winners for each segment. Just like the previous contest, there were only first, second, and third prizes. This is gonna be tough, I thought, biting my nails.

"And now, for winners of the songwriting contest..." the host said over the microphone while he shuffled his envelopes.

All hair on my body stood up like pine trees. Fear and excitement swirled in my stomach, and I felt like puking. As if sensing my haywire emotion, my little sister put her tiny hand on mine on the armchair.

"Third place—" It's not going to be me. I know it's not—"Isabella Price!"

A scream exploded at the back part of the auditorium, and a dark-haired girl dashed her way to the stage. She deserved the prize. Her voice sounded cute, and her lyrics were catchy.

My chest throbbed again, but I quickly shrugged the feeling off. I shouldn't feel hopeless. I shouldn't care if I didn't get into the top three.

"Second place..."

Maybe it's Agatha or that boy with the ukulele. They're both good contenders...

"Bloom Landry!"

My heart skipped a beat. Or two.

Did I just hear my name from that huge speaker? I shook my head. No! I must be dreaming—

My mom's shrieking interrupted my thinking, and Dad motioned his hand for me to go.

"Bloom, you're second place! Hurry up! It's now or never," he said and clapped fervently as I stood up.

I made an awkward march to the stage, cheers and clapping and hoots filling my ears. The moment I touched my little silver trophy and certificate, I smiled the biggest smile I had ever made. Second place! I won!

With a bounce in my steps, I proceeded backstage because Chad was there cheering for me.

"Nice, congrats! You made it!"

I didn't know if it was because I was too happy that my brain stopped functioning, but I hugged him. I hugged him around his waist, resting my head on his chest. The cologne coming from his button-up shirt smelled like a fresh ocean breeze, and his body heat wrapped me like a thick blanket on a winter's night.

"Thank you," I said. "I couldn't have done it without you. Thanks for believing in me."

I released him and looked up to see the surprise on his face. My brain returned to its normal thinking mode, and my whole face went on fire in a snap. I jumped away.

"Oh, God. Personal space. Yup. I'm so sorry."

He rubbed his jaw, glancing away. "It's okay... You're welcome. I was just doing my job as a coach."

"Yeah. And you did it well." I fixed my gaze on the floor.

"Now the school will recognize you."

I nodded. "I guess I should start getting used to being famous. Watch out, Madonna."

Our laughter came out shaky.

Before silence could attempt to settle between us, Chad jabbed his thumb behind him. "Uh... I should go find Lily back there... somewhere... Congrats again."

When he left in a rush, I wanted to stuff the certificate in my mouth and eat it. That was so awkward.