Chapter 5 |§| Darkness and Light

"Commander."

Kylo Ren turned his gaze to Captain Phasma, looking away from the screens. "Yes?" Even after so long, the sound of his voice so distorted and twisted surprised him.

"The scouts we sent out three weeks ago have returned," she informed him.

He briefly wondered what her real voice sounded like. "And?"

"They spotted activity on D'Qar," she replied, and his heart dropped out of his chest. "Like you instructed, they did not make surface contact, but recognised a few x-wings amongst the trees."

Kylo swallowed, turning to the Captain. "Tell me, Captain," he began, trying to sound confident, "Is D'Qar inhabited?"

"N-not anymore, sir." Everyone knew that.

"Exactly." Kylo turned back to the screens. "The rebels will not have set up base there. With no civilians to buy supplies from, they'd starve. You probably saw scouts of their own."

"Everyone knows the rebels are in no condition to be sending out scouts," General Hux snapped, "and our scouts have never been wrong before—"

"Even the most skilled people," Kylo interrupted with deadly calm, "can make mistakes. Even you, General, are capable of making a mistake. A very, very dangerous one." He faced the man, the light of the holographic screens reflecting off his helmet.

Hux swallowed and nodded. "Yes, sir."

"Send scouts to the desert planets," he ordered, "Jakku and Tatooine. The scavenger was from one, their Jedi master from the other. Nostalgia may have brought them there."

"Yes, sir." Phasma turned and marched away, ridiculously obedient. Anyone could see it was a stupid idea.

If Rey had been in her place, she would have argued. And if that hadn't worked, she would have smacked some sense into him. Kylo was glad the helmet hid the smile tugging at his lips.

And then he swatted the thought away. No. He mustn't think of her, of her eyes, her voice, her smile...

Ren. The voice startled him, and he jolted out of his seat.

Y-yes, Supreme Leader?

Come to my chambers. I wish to speak with you.

Oh kriff, oh kriff. Yes, master.

***

Kylo Ren collapsed onto the floor, gasping for breath. He clenched and unclenched his fist, trying to find some kind of strength in his fingers, pulling his elbows underneath him. His helmet fell with a clang as the Supreme Leader withdrew from his mind.

I am disappointed. A surge of power, and he was thrown onto his back, his head hitting the floor so hard he saw stars.

You know what your mission is. He was flung into the wall, his shoulder slamming straight into it with a crack. Pain lanced up his side.

And yet...Kylo crumpled to the floor, holding his arm. ...you showed her mercy.

"I," He staggered to his feet, "deeply apologise. I have failed you, Master."

That you have. Kylo hit the floor again, splitting his lip and causing it to bleed. I assume you had your reasons, boy. Explain.

"I was only," Kylo gasped, pushing himself onto his knees, "going to give them a short while. I never intended to stop monitoring their activities either." Swallowing, his kept his eyes trained on the red floor. "A war in which the enemy simply rolls over is no war at all."