Chapter 2

"Do you live alone?" Julia asked wanting to know more about Craig and also to listen to his mesmerizing voice.

"Kinda, yes. But Tyler comes to spend some nights here to keep me company," he replied.

"Don't you get too lonely?" She continued but regretted asking that because she saw a glint of both sadness and pain in his eyes.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say that." she apologized.

Craig didn't need to answer the question, especially to a stranger even though she sounded concerned. Whatever he was going through was his fault and so he had to face it alone.

"Um. Have you had anything to eat?" She asked wanting to change the subject and ease the current atmosphere.

Making dinner is the least she could do for someone as generous as he is.

"Not yet. I had planned on ordering pizza, but the rain won't let that happen," he replied.

"Do you mind if I make something for dinner?" She suggested.

Craig pondered over her words for some time, considering she was supposed to be his guest. Julia noticed that he was internally struggling to give a reply, she knew it was too soon for him to let a total stranger have her way around his home, but she wasn't a dangerous person, and making dinner was her way of saying thank you for letting her into his home.

"I know you don't trust me, but please don't say no. It's the least I can do for you."

"It's not that. I should be the one offering you dinner as my guest, so you'll be very comfortable, not to stress you with making dinner. "

"I'm already comfortable thanks to you, but can you just pretend to act like I'm no stranger but your friend so we can have dinner? I'm sure you must be hungry because I am."

Craig couldn't help but smile at her request.

"Okay," he replied

"Take the door to your right, you'll find the dining room. The kitchen is just beside it," he explained.

"Okay," she replied, getting on her feet and heading for the kitchen, leaving Craig alone in the living room.

After 30 minutes, Julia came back to the living room.

"Dinner is served!" She said, excitement laced in her voice.

"Okay," he replied, standing up on his feet.

Julia unconsciously tried to help him up by holding his hand, taking Craig by surprise. She quickly withdrew as soon as she realized what she had just done.

"I'm sorry." she quietly apologized, he only nodded in reply and continued his journey to the dining room.

Julia mentally slapped herself for being stupid. What was she thinking? That he wouldn't know his way around his own home. Besides, he was the one who single-handedly took her to the bedroom and gave her a change of clothes, her subconsciousness told her. She only hoped he wasn't offended by her action, but thinking about it, she swore she felt a spark when she held his hand.

"Stop thinking such nonsense, Julia, so you don't make things more awkward than it is," she whispered to herself.

Maybe she imagined feeling a spark because of the cold. She let out a heavy sigh before going to join him at the dinner table.

"This is tasty," Craig said as they ate. Julia had prepared chicken noodles for dinner.

"Thanks... But this is practically the only thing I can make besides a sandwich," she replied, making them laugh.