Chapter 6

-Enjoy!

Ashton's P.O.V

I watch as Landon pushes the cake into Paise's face, sending her flying into the pool. I stare in awe as laughter erupts from the drunken teenagers and they start taunting her by cynically singing Happy Birthday.

It's all my fault. If I hadn't dragged her to this stupid party, she wouldn't of had to face this torment. I should've known Landon only cares about his popularity and does everything he can to try to get everyone on his side, completely dismissing the emotional consequences it would have on people other than himself.

He did it all for me- well to me I guess. So that everyone would laugh at me for protecting Paise and I would lose my so called "reputation".

Why doesn't he understand that I don't care?! I don't care about the popularity. I came to this school to make friends and advance in life, not so I could be the leader of a pathetic posse!

Without another thought I dive into the pool, ignoring the cold water and swim Paise to safety on the edge. I don't care if my clothes get wet. Clothes are clothes and a friend is worth more than pieces of expensive material.

She is out of breath and her heart is beating so fast. I think she's about to have an attack of some sort. Ignoring all the teenagers' laughter, I drag her out of the pool. She's shivering from the cold, making me wish I had brought a jacket tonight.

'Paise, I'm so sorry,' I say apologetically, looking into her eyes filled with hurt and sorrow.

She starts crying again and storms off back into the house. Maybe she just needs some space.

As soon as she's out of sight, rage suddenly fills me. I usually don't get angry as forgiveness comes easily to me, but this time was different. How can someone do something like that to inflict harm on another? Landon is crazy and needs help. Paise has done absolutely no wrong to anyone so why does he regard her as his personal punching bag?

I check the time on my watch: 12:56 am, exactly five minutes since Paise went into the house.

Where has she gone?

I walk inside again, passing through the kitchen where the white tiles are covered in shattered glass and spilt alcohol. The smell is putrid and makes me feel woozy.

Making my way out of the kitchen, I walk into the the hallway where I hear loud cries.

'Paise?' I yell.

The cries get louder, coming from the bathroom. I hope nothing bad has happened to her.

I run into the bathroom as fast as my legs can carry me and almost faint at the sight before me.

'WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!' I yell at Paise. She starts sobbing loudly but ignores me.

Oh my god. I can't believe I was about to let this happen to her.

I swear I'm going to kill Landon.

Paise holds a bottle of very strong painkillers and is trying desperately to open them. I snatch the medication out of her hands. She cries and pushes me, trying to get them back.

'Just let me have them!' She screams.

'JUST LET ME DIE!'

She falls to the ground and sobs violently. I drop the painkillers in my pocket so she can't get them and sit beside her on the floor, comforting her.

After a few moments of silence, I speak up.

'I don't understand, Paise,' I say softly, gently stroking her wet hair. She stops crying and looks up at me angrily.