Chapter 31: Fragile Things

Do you remember how Ena lied to Izuku about his hair looking good unbrushed? It was a short-lived, harmless untruth that was really more of a joke than a lie. That was the sort of lie Ena told.

Izuku was different.

Izuku found that, while he had not been lying at the time when he said he liked Ena's hair, he had grown to dislike it after a few short hours of chatting with his friend. It's not that Ena's hair didn't look good, but that it reminded Izuku of himself.

Ena's hair was glass; fine, flexible threads of glass that didn't break very easily, although it did break. The greenette often felt like those strands. He was strong - not as much as some people, but enough. He was flexible. He could deal with most of the things that came his way. And yet, everyone still treated him like glass, fragile and ready to break, and maybe he was glass, but he was not as fragile as many people thought.

He had not been able to save while anesthetized, but he had fallen asleep naturally a few hours after being taken off the anesthesia. He was presented with that four-pointed star he regretted taking for granted and he once again felt the power of being immune to the grip of death flow through him. However, he had resolved to be more careful with resetting. Whether that warning had been the cause of his illness, a symptom of it, or an unrelated and coincidental occurance, he did not know; however, he did know that it had had some truth in it. If he continued to kill himself at the drop of a hat, he would get pretty messed up in the head, no matter how many times he told himself that he was still human.

Death, while it seems dark and unnatural to many, is the most natural thing in the world, second only to childbirth. Messing with such a thing in such a way was not God's work, nor was it the work of Satan; even Satan knew to respect death for what it is. The nature of his ability was unknown, unnatural, inhuman, and very, very useful. He was sure that one day there would be consequences, and he would do his best to minimize use of this unnatural thing for his sanity's sake.

Unfortunately, a boy made of glass - be the glass a fine, flexible thread or a large, thin sheet - is often quite prone to breaking. And what boy made of glass, when gifted with the ability to fix glass almost effortlessly, wouldn't fix himself if he happened to be broken?