Chapter 2

"My mother
is pure radiance.

  She is the sun
I can touch
and kiss

and holdwithoutgetting burnt."

Sanober Khan

She couldn't remember a time when her slumber didn't begin within the dream. It flowed like a smooth river upon her skin, caressing her in places she'd never known. Its cool touch soothed her like a soft breeze in spring, the feeling of elation at what was to come building. She smiled against the watery sunlight of the glen she'd always find herself in, shafts spilling upon dew kissed blades of grass while they swayed in the chill zephyr. There were mountains always surrounding the peaceful clearing like sentinels standing watch over her. She knew the place, pieces of it splintering and lodging into her core. It was a member of a puzzle far greater than she could fathom.

She trembled, but not from the chilly wind sweeping through the glade.

A cross caught the light of the sun, rough wood shaped by hands far more skilled than her own. A glinting piece of jewelry swung against the bark of the twigs, face opened to reveal pictures of people she'd thought she'd known.

Among the fantasy, through the thicket and shadows of towering trees, she spotted a solitary figure with their back to her. It was a broad, expansive back wrought from labor and pain. The shoulders sloped oddly to one side, but she never balked at the difference. If anything, it caused her to stride forward toward them with curious intent.

Who was the stranger? A man?

She recognized him, too, like one acknowledged an old friend from childhood. It seemed she'd known him all along. He'd always been there, watching from the shadows. The gloom writhed around his feet as she strode forward toward him, arm raised out and fingers splayed to accept him. Her heart fluttered at the chance to meet him.

Show yourself , she begged them. Please, I want to know you.

Just like how the dream began, they faded, and Whitney woke to a sweat drenched bed and the lingering smell of pine sap.

****

Present Day

"Hey, are you coming tonight?"

The question being asked was just like many before it. The good intentions laced within the words were just as they were: good. However, Whitney knew better than to think the people from school were interested in having the loner come over for a party. It was simply an act of kindness and nothing else, wrought upon by a person who felt sorry for her. Like the many questions similar to the one being asked of her by Amanda, Whitney answered it just like she had all the others.

"Nah," she replied to the phone call. "I've got an exam tomorrow that I have to study for. Thanks, though."

"Okay, well, if you change your mind then call me." Amanda chirruped on the other side. A hint of relief dripped from her words. Whitney had heard the spill before.

It wasn't like she didn't appreciate the gesture. Far from it, actually. Whitney could use a moment or two outside of her books to live a little. Her mother would appreciate her daughter learning what happened outside of the pages of text. Still, Whitney wasn't much of a partier. If she was, there were many other places she would choose to go besides the house Amanda called from. She was not a fan of Trent DeMarco and his egotistical display of masculinity in the form of a fancy get together.