Chapter 4

I saw a sign for another small town ahead and decided we should check it out.

"Where are we going?" Tyler asked, looking up as I turned onto the off-ramp.

"Littlerock." I said. "We'll be there in about 15 minutes."

He nodded and went back to playing a game on his phone. I continued to stare straight ahead, hoping not to see anything else too gruesome today.

"Hey, put that phone away," Dad said. "You might need it in the near future and we don't know how long we'll have electricity around."

Tyler sighed, "Come on, dad, I'm just trying to ignore the fact that the world is crumbling around me."

Dad looked back at him blankly. "I'm only trying to give you a chance. Mine's already gone." He gestured to his leg.

Tyler frowned and looked back in concern. "We don't know that for sure, dad,"

"Yes, we do." Dad replied, sternly. "I'm infected. I'm not going to make it. I just want you and your sisters to have something to guide you when I can't anymore..." He trailed off, his voice cracking.

"You're really emotional today, dad," Tyler said sarcastically, putting his phone away.

I smacked his arm lightly. "Maybe that's because his days have suddenly been numbered, Tyler. Don't be a jerk just so you don't seem afraid."

He looked shocked that I would scold him so. "I wasn't..." He started, but he stopped as I sent a swift glare in his direction. He went silent and turned his focus on Layla, still in his lap. She was just starting to wake up from her nice nap and was groggily wiggling around.

I sighed. "Look, Tyler. I'm sorry." I said, "But we're all scared and cranky in here. Except for maybe Layla." He smiled at that and rubbed her hair. "My point is, you don't have to act like the tough guy today. You just went through a lot." He nodded in understanding.

"I'm sorry, too. I'll try not to be such a wiener." He said.

I smiled.

After about five minutes of driving around, it became clear that this small town had been forewarned and evacuated. There was nobody around; dead or alive. I decided to pull over in front of a gas station that seemed untouched. It was so strange to see everything looking so modern and put-together despite what the expectations for an abandoned town were for me. It was as if the world was in tableau.

I looked over my shoulder at dad. "Hey, I'm gonna go and see if that gas station is empty. You and Tyler say in the car." I then turned to Tyler and gave him a stern look. "Stay in the van. Capiche?"

He nodded and frowned.

I made my way to the front door of the tiny gas station, keeping half an eye on the van. As I approached, I realized that the smell of rotting flesh was no longer wafting through the air. I hadn't really thought about that much, but it was the first time today that I couldn't smell a dead body nearby. I took a deep breath, half out of appreciation for the clean air, and half from nerves as I reached the sliding doors. I took the last step forward and the doors opened. The town was so quiet I could hear the soft whirring of the motors that powered them. I looked around cautiously as I stepped inside, watching for any of the undead. After ten minutes, I decided that this place was, in fact, vacant. I made my way back to the front of the store to wave to my brother and dad. I stopped just in front of the doors and signaled them to come inside. Tyler opened up the door and held Layla tightly as he jogged over to me.

"It's safe?" He asked.

"Yes, it's safe." I said, nodding. Dad made it over as well. I could see that he was limping now. "Is your leg alright, Dad?" I wanted to facepalm immediately after saying it.