ღChapter Five: In Between the Lines

The weekend came a lot sooner than Eve liked. And it normally wouldn't put her in such a bad mood but she was accompanying her friends to hang out with boys. Not exactly how Eve wanted to spend her valuable time. Eve figured she officially didn't like weekends anymore.

When she had made her way up to her teacher's desk yesterday at school, Eve had been wrestling with herself about whether or not to turn in the paper early after all.

She could lie and not turn it in until Monday like the rest of the class. She had convinced herself that would be a much better option than spending it with the McNeills and her friends but, of course, Aaron had to bounce up to her right as she turned away from Mr. Elton's desk.

Aaron asked, "Did you turn in our finished paper yet?" and he missed the annoyed look on Eve's face. She glanced over her shoulder to see Mr. Elton looking at them, obviously hearing Aaron's question. In the end, Eve handed their paper over to the teacher's waiting hands with a grim smile.

Now it was Saturday and Eve was on her way to the McNeill house with Charlie and Bea giggling non-stop in front of her. They were more dolled up than usual; with Charlie's pretty skirt and Bea's favorite yellow dress. The only extravagant difference today was the amount of makeup the girls slapped on. Eve rolled her eyes when she saw them, reminding them that they were going to a house, not a party.

Eve was purposely trailing behind the non-stop chattering friends. The two girls in front had to wait for her every few feet which started to take a toll on Bea's nerves.

"Hurry it up, Eve!" Bea urged, waving her hand to speed her up. "I know you have short legs but I mean, c'mon! We don't want to keep the boys waiting!"

"God forbid..." Eve muttered as she continued her slow pace. Seeing Bea rolling her eyes only gave Eve a small moment of satisfaction. Charlie smiled instead of showing that she was bothered by Eve's stubbornness. She pleaded with her eyes in the way she knew always affected Eve.

When catching her friend's gaze, Eve stopped and frowned. She knew what Charlie was doing but it didn't help that her friend mouthed, "Please, Eve. Do this for me?" which got her every time. The younger girl rolled her eyes and quickened her steps; never able to resist her friend's pleadings.

Charlie wrapped her arm around Eve's shoulder and hugged her tightly while thanking her for putting up with tagging along. The brunette swatted her hand lightly in Charlie's direction with a grunt, muttering something about not exactly having a choice in the matter.

Once they were in the familiar upper class neighborhood, Bea and Charlie were standing side-by-side gleefully squealing. Eve frowned as she followed close behind her friends whom were already walking through the tall black gated entrance and up the long drive to the front door. Eve's nose scrunched as she was nudging her way out of the sandwich her friends had her in. She shot them a look, grumbling that they squealed too loud.

After a moment of simmering their excitement, Bea stared at the door, frowning at it. She was looking around until turning to Charlie. She pouted, "I wonder why they didn't answer the door? They knew we were coming, didn't they?"

Eve squinted at her blonde friend, scrunching her nose. Her brown eyes shifted back and forth between her two friends. All Eve kept thinking was that the girls' makeup must be soaking into their pores and destroying brain cells.

When they just stood there, not saying or doing anything, Eve clicked her tongue against her teeth and snapped, "Why don't one of you ring the doorbell?!"