Chapter Twenty-Seven

27.

A/N: Earliesh update, lucky you J This is a rather intense chapter, and very long, I don't whether I should apologize for that or not. Oh well, when I come around to edit my book I'll probably do some major cutting. Anyway, enjoy!(:

"What on earth is going on in here?" Christian exclaimed, stampeding into his classroom where I was struggling to keep Caroline and Miranda from inflicting injury upon each other. Temporarily caught off guard, Miranda managed to get beyond my defences-or, more accurately, her foot did. Caroline was subsequently hit in the shin, causing her to howl in pain, and stumble over to the closest desk for recuperation.

I ducked my head, angry at myself for allowing him to distract me.

"Miranda," he chastised, dropping a few folders down onto his desk, then his laptop, and folding his arms over his chest. Caroline and Miranda huffed at the same time, and it was a visible struggle and achievement for them to not laugh at this, in order to safeguard their contempt toward one another. "Use Marcus' classroom, the doors unlocked." Though, the two of them, taking his offer of the other classroom very seriously, didn't make it to the inter-joining door between the classrooms; Mr Hadens came in, protesting.

"Christian!" Marcus groaned. "Holt, you want me to bench you?" Caroline scowled at him for a second. "Hands off her, then." Falling into Christian's chair, he placed his feet on the desk, only to have them pushed off by Christian, who was between his desk and the board, preparing his next class presumably.

"Romero, you'd better head to the locker rooms."

"Yeah, in a sec," I told him, trying desperately to unravel my headphones from around my iPod.

"That was an order, not a suggestion. Plus, I'll give you a head start. Maybe you might actually get there on time if I...oh what is the term-right, oh yes, encourage you. Apparently students really respond to it." To my right, Caroline laughed at my expense, earning a glare from me. Sighing, I kicked off the desk I had been lazily sitting on, and ambled out of the classroom, returning only for Caroline when he added, "And take your friend. She looks far too pleased with herself."

Towing my friend behind me was hardly engaging enough to keep me from thinking about Christian. He'd not spoken to me since he'd come onto me in the locker room, and it seemed to be out of respect for me. If it had been out of frustration or anger or remorse, I was sure he wouldn't have attended the two cross country practices that had followed it. He wouldn't have been watching me, waiting for me to break the silence first.

Today, apparently, was no different. Comically, despite Mr Hadens being the coach, it was he who followed Christian about like a loyal pet. It was no indication of their individual roles in their friendship; they often switched between domineering owner and dutiful golden retriever. Today, Mr Hadens was following Chrsitian, tomorrow it would be the other way around.

He was only tagging along to get to me. It probably wasn't long before his gaze would be drifting down the expanse of my body like a deflating balloon.

He was trying to tempt me.

He didn't know who he was dealing with. This was beyond giving in to him; I refused to give in to myself.

Christian hadn't once spoken to me. Not in 48 hours. It was not a pleasant experience. Sure, I'd gone a whole month without speaking to him, but we hadn't been on speaking terms. I hadn't wanted to speak to him at all, let alone a percentage of the amount I did right now. This had been his expert doing: removing everything in me in exchange for desire. Not lust, but want. A want for him so bad, so significant, it could have existed on its own; like outer space when it would become so large everything within it, too small, would cease to exist. I craved the husky and baritone from the desperation I brought out in him.