Untitled Part 1

I’m looking for my lost notebook, my whole room was messed up looked like a tornado visited it. I scratch my head for disappointment like I had insect bites there. Ugh! Okay. I just can’t remember where in this world I put that crazy little thing.  I have an examination tomorrow, you know that? I badly needed it. I had a memory gap I bet.

                    Alone in my room I pace back and forth just to figure out that it will do no good it just made my feet tired instead.

“Zoey, we’re going to eat already.” Mama screamed out from the dining room.

“Ugh! I’m not yet ready Ma. I have to find my notebook. We have that stupid long quiz tomorrow!” I screamed back slamming the door of my room.

Hopelessly, I sat on my bed staring at the ceiling, asking myself “What should I do?”. My window was still open and the dusky night made me gloomy. Well, tomorrow’s going to be another day but I need to scan my notes. Unfortunately, I can’t think of the better thing to do now so I went to the dining room.

“ What’s the problem?”, my sister Katy said after sipping her coffee.

“Nah, I just can’t figure out where is my notebook,” I said and sat on the dining chair.

“ The color of that thing is purple, isn’t it?” She took a bite. I suddenly pause putting food on my plate.

“ Yeah, where did you saw that?” I asked staring at her. My mind says there must be something… knowing my sister Katy. She’s kind of crazy sometimes just to annoy and scare the hell out of you. Instead of answering I saw her grinning, which made me think that there’s really something.

“Don’t tell me…”, before I could finish my word she laugh.

“Give it back to me!” she just continue laughing when I almost freak the hell out of me.

“ Stop both of you. Finish your food. Katy, give it back to Zoey.” Papa already interrupted and it’s not a statement. It’s an order.

I smirked at Katy. After eating I scold my sister.

“I’m fed up Katy. Your trip wasn’t funny at all. You’re… annoying!”

She bit her lower lip and rolled eyes. She’s in a huff.

          Sunny Saturday morning and I wake up late, obviously, because it’s Saturday. Hello weekend, goodbye classes. There’s nothing to bother and to cram for. I didn’t comb my hair. Who cares if my hair rocks like a messy bun? I went out of our house and sat under the mango tree. I saw him walking down the street so I followed him.

“ Yanji, where are you going? I’d like to join you if you don’t mind.” I said as I tap his shoulder. He stopped walking as he turned back to see me.

He just smiled and later on we walked together.

Yanji’s my endearment to him. Whenever I called him that name he’ll give me the most wonderful smile I’ve ever seen in this world, the one that he has was so priceless. We’re best of friends since I was on my sixth grade.

“It’s been a long time best friend. I miss you.” I said as I gave him a quick hug.

He kissed my hand the way he did before. He’s really as sweet as my favorite apple pie. We saw Katy along the way. They’re close too.

The days are so fast than I could imagine. It’s weekdays again. I have classes. The day had been everything to me. One afternoon after class I hurriedly went to the kitchen and open up the refrigerator for a glass of water. Before I could make it for 3 glasses I heard someone shouting and crying.

“Ate Zoey…Yanji’s…” I was alarmed by Katy’s voice. She didn’t finish her word. She already burst into tears.

“Katy, what happened to Yanji?” I wipe her cheeks.

“ He’s sick.” She cried again.

Gush! I thought it was something worst than that. I didn’t bother to change my uniform we went to their house near ours. I saw him pale as the peach dress Katy wore.

“ Ate… Huhuhu!” Here she goes again, sobbing.

“Katy will you stop that? He’s not dead, it was just fever.”

             Yanji’s parents weren’t home. We’ve decided to bring him to our house. I let him lay on my bed and as fast as I could I look for mama to ask for medicine.

“ Your head hurts right?”He just blinked. He couldn’t utter any word, I guess.

“It’s fine. Keep your mouth shut and sleep. Have a good rest. Get well soon.” I said assuring him that everything would be fine. He closes his eyes and abruptly Katy cried again.

“ Hush Katy. Have pity, he’s sick and he’s just sleeping. Be quiet or stay away.”

“ I thought… he’s dead.” Katy wiped her tears.

“ Of course not!”

             When he woke up I gave him food and medicine. The sooner he’ll be fine the better. I love my best friend that much and I couldn’t make it to lose him. I already spotted a true friend in him. I wipe his hands and face using a damp towel, it will lessen the pain, Mama told me so.

           The next day, I stared at him, he’s recovering and it’s great. I let Katy and Mama took care of him. I have school work and I can’t make it to be with him all day. We transferred him to Katy’s room.

Monday, it’s a very busy day for me. I have many things to accomplish, paper works, review, assignments and projects. Tuesday… Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, that’s how fast the day ran. I always got home late and tired; don’t even have time to have a little chat with Katy. We always talk before going to bed.

                 Sunny Sunday morning welcomed me. I hate the sun’s light. Ugh! I’m still sleepy but what I hate most is the sound of familiar voice crying.

“ Katy go away.” I shouted seeing her in the door of my room.

“Eh, Ate…” she cried again.

“ What?”

“ He passed away.”

“ He what? Who?”

“ Yanji. He passed away.” She’s already sobbing.

The information sinks in to my mind.

“ Are you kidding? Early in this morning, I hate jokes Katy.”

“ I’m not… joking” she said in the middle of her sobs.

I saw Mama pass by my room and she nodded at me. It means it’s true. Tears automatically ran through my eyes. I wish they were kidding.

              I remember one time…. We’re walking at the park. He stared at me.

“I’m beautiful. Thank you.” I laugh and he’s there watching me laugh my heart out… We always watch sunset together during vacations. Many memories are flooding in my mind. Katy’s sobs made me back to reality.

“Ate…”

“It’s okay Kat…” I said wiping her tears and we both cry.

We went to the kitchen and drink water. We need to go to their house. I want to know anything. So we did. Figuring out what happened made me wept. I saw him lying lifeless… He’s dead. He’s nice to be with and the best of all the best I ever met. I told him a lot of stories and he’s a good listener. He neither disagrees nor agrees with me. He’s not interrupting me. He’s letting me decide. He respects my decisions. He’s there whenever I need someone and I didn’t make it when he needed me. That makes me a bad best friend. I’m guilty. He’s gone now. It hurts so badly. Our memories together were so wonderful. I’m going to live my life the way he would want me to live it though I’ll surely miss that priceless smile. I’ll breath, I’ll live, I’ll eat and whatever but I won’t forget him. I love my best friend. I love Yanji. I love my puppy….