prologue

Juniper checks the clock. Midnight. It is officially the first day of senior year. She gazes at her phone again, the text bubble staring back at her. The light of the screen illuminates her soft brown skin in an otherwise dark room.

She reads the message over and over, as if reading it again can somehow change the words. She gets stuck on two words in particular, I'm sorry.

Sorry? Sorry doesn't cover it, she thinks to herself. That was not a good enough apology for a message so blunt.

Even though she is side swept with the breakup, Juniper shows no signs of pain or sadness. She wasn't upset at all, surprising, since she is typically in a constant state of anger. No, she is not angry. Now, she just sits at the window seat in her room, completely stupefied.

The realization of the breakup came in waves. She first tried to piece together an understanding of how things led to this. She momentarily let memories of her relationship swirl around her mind, but the harshness of the text message in her phone tainted the images. Had it all been a lie? Looming thoughts took over Juniper and her head began to ache.

What was worse? She wonders to herself. The fact that she, Juniper Reyes, had been dumped? Or was it the fact that after seven months her relationship ended over a text? Juniper inhales deeply. She must put these thoughts aside. She may never get answers to all the questions in her head. Once she accepts that, she is able to continue forward.

She sits up against a pillow, knees to her chest, with a large window on her left. Outside, the port town sleeps, unaffected by this sudden turn of events. In the distance, she sees the skylights of San Francisco, which is just a short drive away. Clouds drown the sky with its sorrow as rain rages through the night. Juniper's entire life had taken a left turn, but the world continued to spin its course. Her mother would be up soon to drive Juniper's father to the auto shop, then take herself to work at the grocery store downtown. Life would move on. Juniper had to move on, too.

She is, after all, about to begin her senior year, the last chapter of her youth. She knows that by next year, she'll have a new life with new adventures. New realities that Juiniper couldn't have imagined would ever happen to her. This year would be the final test. She knew there was a lot to learn still, but she has come so far already. She was ready to face whatever challenges would come her way. She just needs to make it through one last year of high school.

Only now does she think of her reputation at school. She was notorious on campus for being a fearsome, rogue socialite. Juniper can't help but wonder how this news will be received by her fellow peers. She doesn't entertain the thought long. She has never been bothered before by her classmates' words, she would not start now. Not when she was almost free of the agonizing pettiness of high school.
Juniper reads the text one last time before deleting it, deciding that this would be the last of her bout of self pity.

I'm sorry, Juniper. I can't keep up with you anymore. When we are together, we're like a flame out of control, causing pain and chaos to everyone; ourselves included. Let's be honest, neither of us are having fun. Not like we used to. Our spark has faded; our time has past. I'll always remember this summer, but there's more out there for me. I hope you find what it is that you need. What thing will bring you peace; I've found mine. I'm finally happy. M