Beekeeping: Section I

"I am Sherlock Holmes...previously titled as a consulting detective, but having since retired I now add to the list, consulting beekeeper.

"Many have often wondered what drew me to beekeeping, and to be honest, it was very simple. Having the opportunity to observe such wondrous creatures without being bothered with the emotional and quite frankly ridiculous problems which humans tend to have, it was a rudimentary decision.

Let me begin by first stating that it isn't for a moment to be referred to as simply 'beekeeping' Yes, I realize the obvious question you're about to pose in wondering why then I have the title as such. But not many people know the official terminology of the field and I wasn't entirely sure how many would actually read it if they weren't sure as to the subject, so the simple term was chosen.

Let me clear the air here and now. The correct term is "Apiculture"

Now don't go and attempt to sound all professional by calling yourself and apiculturist rather than a simple beekeeper unless you are fashionably educated in every aspect of the field. People often make fools of themselves by stating they know more than they do. Don't be the one to make that mistake.

Apiculture is quite a fascinating subject to which I readily enjoy. I'm out at my bee hives almost every week. Which leads me to discuss the particulars of how often one should tend their hives. Presuming of course, that you are somewhat hoping to gain knowledge rather than just test my own, for that is quite often done by simple minded people.

Humans seldom take my words for actual facts, for they always have the prerequisite to have it proven to them. They tend to always see, rather than observe. Wouldn't the world be much simpler if people used their brains for thinking rather than just plain jabber?

I hereby declare that all the facts which I choose to engage you in are all due to the explicit results of my own experiences with my personal hives. All information is gleaned through observation and experimentation. So do yourself a favor and take my words as completely accurate.

Now, in order to keep harmony, one must take great caution and discretion in how often you tend your hive. When you first implement your bees into said hive, it is necessary to let it alone for at least two weeks in order for the colony to establish itself. Now there are in fact two choices into what type of a hive you would like to use. There is the popular basket hive known simply as the 'skep' but I, however am inclined to decide upon the newly created design by Mr. Langstroth of America. His deign in 1851 completely revolutionized the beekeeping industry, so I would recommend the Lagstroth hive, which is a vertical stand of three or more boxes referred to as 'supers' with a landing board on the bottom for the bees to enter the hive.

Each super consists of eight individual frames that the bees will eventually fill with honey and brood. Now, to first establish your hive, if a hobbyist like myself -a professional hobbyist I might add- one must find a swarm. A swarm is a colony of bees that has left their previous location and is actually searching for a new one.  So you then have the opportunity to capture the swarm and introduce it to your empty hive. Once you have tossed the bees into your chosen hive, put the lid on and don't do anything else. You must, and I say again with passionate instruction, you must wait. Do not touch your hive for at least a week, two is the superior preference.

Once the correct amount of time has passed, make sure you don the correct attire before divulging into your newly established hive. It is quite necessary to select a rather wide-brimmed hat, and some sort of netting protection. Preferably, if you have a close lady of your acquaintance, you may acquire one of her net-veils, or something of the like.

You shall also need to discover a set of thickly woven trousers and a long-sleeved shirt of the same disposition. It is also necessary to select two 1 meter sections of a thick cord, preferably some strong twine, to wrap around your wrists on top of the sleeve to insure no bees find their way into your clothing. After that, don your hat and veil and open your hive!"

Thanks for reading! I shall upload again soon! Please don't hasten to vote and comment!

(Copyright: B. G. O'Brien. @ Consulting_Artist. 2020. All Rights Reserved)