Nine

I smiled as she pulled my hair back into a braid then she put nude makeup on me, helping me into my dress and shoes afterward.

"You look beautiful." Michelle said, and I nodded as they took photos, but Jake drove me to UA where the dance was. And at the gate, Shoji stood there in a tux with a dark blue tie that nearly matched my dress.

"Ready?" I looked at Jake and nodded, smiling as he got out and came around, opening my door for me and making people stare. Even Shoji stared, but I think it was in a good way.

"Evolet." He laughed, and I rolled my eyes.

"All Michelle, let's go." I said and waved to Jake as we went to the side yard where the dance was. Thankfully, there was a stone-ground so my heels weren't sinking into the ground.

"You do look beautiful, though, Evolet." He said, and I looked at him.

"And you look handsome." I said, and he laughed, taking me to a table to sit. As we laughed and talked, I noticed other students eyeing me, but I didn't care.

"Wanna dance, honey?" I glared at the guy, then Shoji stood and offered me his hand, making me smile.

"I'd love to, Shoji." I said as I took his hand, then stood, going to the dancefloor with him.

"Everyone is staring." I said, and he shrugged as I grabbed his arms, and he held my hips, both of us just kind of... swaying, almost.

"Cause they've never seen you before, and you're, well, to be honest here, you're drop-dead gorgeous." I felt my cheeks flush then looked down, but noticed how wide he was when I did that.

"Thanks, Sho-"

"We're close friends now, Evolet, call me Mezo." I looked up at him, then nodded.

"Mezo, got it." I smiled, then he grabbed my hand, and I let his arm go, smiling as he twirled me. I didn't even notice people stopping to stare as we actually danced, but I was just following his lead because I couldn't dance for shit. As the song ended, I was flush against him, and his arms were hugging my waist, his forehead resting on mine, but I noticed the people when they began to applaud.

"We're center attention." I breathed, but he softly laughed and looked at me.

"Good, because they're not getting their hands on you." I smiled up at him, then everyone else began to dance again, but we went to get something to snack on and to sit.

"Oh my god!" I looked at the cheery voice and saw his classmates, but he looked less than pleased by their interruption.

"That was amazing, you two!" A pink girl cheered, then I looked at Shoji and saw him a bit annoyed as they sat.

"Shoji, once we finish eating, you wanna go back and finish those movies?" I asked, and he looked so happy as he nodded.

"Sure. Which one were we on?" He asked, and I had to think.

"The one with Claire the first time." I said, and he nodded.

"Then we'll go back and finish watching them." I nodded then realized one of his friends had noticed the apparent move I just made.

"How did you learn to dance like that, Shoji?" A bird boy asked, but Shoji ignored him, and I looked at my phone as it vibrated.

"Hey, come on." I said, and Shoji stood, then I waved to his friends as we went to the dorms and to his room.

"Thanks, Evolet."

"For what? I wanted to finish those movies; I don't know what you're talking about." I innocently said, and he laughed, nodding as we got into the dorm. We went to his room, then he tossed me a change of clothes, leaving the room after unzipping the dress so I could change. I noticed a paper on his desk then went to it as I pulled the shirt over my stomach, reading it and smiling. He filled out a paper for me to stay here for the night.

"Evolet?!" He called, and I went to the door, letting him in.

"All done!" I cheered, then he came in, and I got the movie up as he changed into some sleep pants and a shirt, but I didn't look. He was more okay with changing in front of me than I was with changing in front of him, I guess.