Chapter Four | Year One

For Elysia, she dreamed that her first day at Hogwarts would be magical and filled with joy. But as she sat at the Slytherin table the next morning with Draco, Crabbe, Goyle, and a tolerable girl named Anna, it appeared that her day wasn't going to go the way she imagined it. 

It could've been the fact that Crabbe and Goyle were complete idiots like Draco had told her or it could've been Anna, whose main priority was taking all of Draco's attention. 

Either way, it wasn't as joyful as she wanted it to be despite the amazing breakfast food sitting in front of her. 

Across the Great Hall, Hermione, Ron, and Harry all sat together laughing and telling jokes. But what really got Elysia to finally stand up and move was Neville. She locked eyes with the sweet boy who apparently had already been looking at her. Both of their faces heated up at the eye contact, but Elysia sent him a friendly smile to ease the discomfort. 

"Ellie? What do you think?" Draco suddenly asked and Elysia hummed curiously, forcing her eyes away from Neville to Draco. He narrowed his eyes at her distracted expression and leaned closer as if he could read her mind. 

"What are you thinking about? Don't tell me it's Longbottom, Ellie. You know, the boy–" Before Draco could finish sneering his mean comment about her friend, Elysia stood up and glared at him. Draco fell silent and looked up at her in confusion. 

"I'll have you know, Draco Malfoy, that yes, I was thinking about Neville. It'll also do you good to know that he's my friend and I don't appreciate it when people insult my friends. You of all people should know that." She snapped at him loudly, drawing attention across the great hall over to the two of them. Elysia's grey eyes were burning with angry flames as she stared down at Draco. 

"Elysia, you can't be serious." He says with a quiet laugh that only makes her angrier. "Cousin, his parents are insane and he's soon to follow. You know they're in St. Mungo's now, Ellie. You don't want to be messing–"

"Don't be such an inconsiderate git, Draco!" She barked out angrily after having enough of his attitude. The smirk fell from his lips and he stood up until he reached the same height as her. If he thought it would threaten her or something, he was dead wrong. Instead of backing down, Elysia stood her ground and only hardened her glare. 

"What'd you call me?" He asks in a chillingly calm tone. 

"You don't scare me and you never will, so don't try and threaten me like one of your slaves! Neville Longbottom is my friend and if you don't respect him then I can't respect you." She ignored the hurt in his eyes and continued to yell at him. "You can't say anything about Neville's family because you still have two parents, Draco! You have no idea what it's like to be abandoned so don't tease Neville for it or else you're teasing me too." 

"Miss Black, I don't believe this is your table." A calm voice drawled out from behind her. Draco had already gone pale by this point, but as he looked up and behind Elysia, he seemed to go a shade paler.