Chapter 1

⚠️TRIGGER WARNING⚠️
very very very small mention/suggestion of r*pe in this chapter. NOTHING is described and the word isn't mentioned however just in case I will put ⚠️ before and after the paragraph that includes it. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy :)

(also I suck at writing the beginnings of storys I'm so sorry if this first bit sucks)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The world outside the Avenger's Compound grew darker as the "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" continued to bicker amongst each other. Earlier that day they had been informed by the Secretary of State of the newfound consequences of their actions that had led to the creation of the Sokovia Accords, which expectedly sparked a heated debate on what action to take next.

"We need to be put in check, and whatever form that takes I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less, then we're no better than the bad guys." Said the Iron Man himself, as though his statement was obvious.

"Tony, if someone dies on your watch, you don't give up." Replied Captain America, who simply puffed out his chest a little more and maintained eye contact with Tony.

"Who said we're giving up?" Tony asked while crossing his arms defensively across his chest.

"We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blame."

"I'm sorry, Steve," Rhodes interrupted, "That is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the World Security Council, it's not S.H.I.E.L.D, it's not HYDRA."

"No, but it's run by people with agendas, and agendas change." Said Rodgers.

"That's good. That's why I'm here," Stark said as he moved closer to the captain, "When I realised what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands, I shut it down and I stopped manufacturing."

"Tony, you chose to do that. If we sign this, we surrender our right to choose."

The other Avengers remained silent while they observed the two men as the atmosphere grew more tense, neither of them were willing to stand down.

"Boss, Nick Fury has arrived at reception with a guest and has requested to speak with you immediately."

FRIDAY's voice startled the two avengers out of their argument. A moment passed before Tony took a step back and replied, "Who's he with?"

"Harleen Spencer Laurens, a fifteen year old student at Midtown High School."

"What the hell's pirate doing with a kid?" Tony thought aloud. Steve looked as though he was going to say something but stopped himself, seemingly deciding that this was not the right time.

"FRI, let them up."

"Of course, boss."

Natasha shared a confused look with Tony before the doors of the elevator to the side of the room dinged and opened. Out stepped Nick Fury and behind him the teenage girl that FRIDAY had spoken of before, the hood of her grey jacket, that appeared slightly oversized for her thin figure, casting a shadow over her face.

"I was just beginning to hope that you'd forgotten about us."

"Not likely, Stark. I need a favour."

"And why should we help you?"

The others watched the encounter between the billionaire and the former S.H.I.E.L.D director with curious gazes. Fury sighed.

"Because I saved your asses in Sokovia," Natasha glared at Steve, sending him a silent warning, "and this is... personal business. The Avengers are pretty much the only people I can trust for this right now."