Chapter 11

A whistle coming from his lips in an ever-so light hearted tune, Marco kicked his horse to walk a bit faster, seeing as he had falled behing Jean a few paces. Catching up o him, the freckled boy smiled, giving him a light push in the shoulder.

"Jean, what's up with you today? You seem so upset..." he commented, giving him an innocent shrug.

And he was telling the absolute truth. Throughout breakfast, Jean hadn't spoken much; he seemed to focused on something. It was almost like there was something in the pit of his stomach that wouldn't cease bothering him. He had even been too distracted to catch the snide remarks that had come from the resident suicidal bastard.

"Hey, Marco, what did Eren just say?" he asked, ignoring the question that he had been asked.

Marco shook his head, petting his horse a bit. "He said that if he had that choice, he would have named his horse Jean," he sighed.

"You have got to be fucking kidding me," he groaned, giving a sharp glance to the kid riding in front of him, being flanked by his bodyguard Mikasa and genious Armin. 

What at asshole...

Marco smirked at his reaction.

"But babe, you know, you are my horse only. Maybe you'll let me ride you one day~" he sang.

Blushing furiously, Jean instantly punched him in the shoulder, giving him a wild-eyes glare. "You were the one who called me perverted this morning!" he gasped, trying his best to keep his voice hushed.

Marco couldn't keep but laughing, and his failed giggled laced themselves between his words. "Sorry Jean, but I had to make that joke!"

"No you didn't."

"Did too."

"Want me to make your words a reality, huh? 'Cuz, Marco, you know I can," Jean said, a dangerous glare reflecting the light of the afternoon sun.

A smile crept onto his lips as Marco blushed and silenced himself, covering half of his face with his right hand. He leaned over, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. He turned even redder.

"Calm down, Marco, I'm just playing," he mused, whistling the song Marco had been earlier.

Catching his breath, the freckled boy adjusted himself on the horse and sat back up, scratching his neck. "Anyways, you didn't answer me earlier. What's up with you? You seem quiet or worried or something along those lines, man, and I'm worried fo-"

"It's nothing, Marco," Jean said, cutting him off before he had time to finish his question. "Guess I'm just anxious about being in the Military Police, you know?"

An obnoxious snort came from the row of horses in front of the duo. The one in the middle, Eren Jeager, let out a small chuckle as he turned back to face them.

"He's just upset he knows he's going to be ranked lower than me," he commented, smirking and raising his eyebrows.

This earned him a slap on the head from Mikasa.

"Shut up, Eren."

"Maybe Eren's just trying to make himself feel better because he knows he's a failure," Jean antagonized, talking to Marco as though he hadn't been adressed by Eren. "I mean, his sister, who's not really his sister, is going to do better than him, once again, like she does in everything-"

A small piece of bread hit him on the head.

"Eren, don't waste bread! You evil bastard..."

The growl of a hungry beast behind the duo shocked everyone, making them turn and look. A young, brown haired girl was almost tearing up, looking angrily at the boy who had just thrown the bread.