22-30

Chapter 22 – The Panther Who Walked Among Lions

Lucius Malfoy sat in the brightly lit dining room at Malfoy Manor. The eggs sitting on his plate had grown cold long ago, the minutes ticking by as he stared in bemusement at the Daily Prophet laying beside his plate. The delicate teacup held between his fingers was slowly raised as he gently sipped at the remaining liquid resting in the bottom.

Cold eyes rested upon the picture in the center of the front page. Whoever had taken it had done an excellent job. The young wizard looked arrogant and completely composed, eyes locked on the photographers as if he could care less that his picture was being taken.

The massive animal standing next to him looked strangely passive as he leaned into the young boy's hand. Curling his lips and flattening his ears as his eyes remained pinned on the camera. The panthers snarling visage was a silent taunt in Lucius eyes. His son no longer belonged to him but rather to the boy-who-lived. The tea cup smashed against the far wall, small chips of porcelain raining down to tinkle gently against the hardwood floor as the mark on his arm began to burn.

Harry sat cross-legged in the center of Draco's bed, fingers playing idly with the braided ribbon that had bound the note. He chewed on his bottom lip thoughtfully, playing certain parts of the note over and over again in his head. Sighing deeply he ran his hands down over his face, eyes once again returning to the piece of parchment calling him from where it lay.

"Well?" Harry turned at the question, peering at Draco who leaned elegantly in the doorway, blue eyes silently repeating the question.

"I just don't know anymore. Yesterday, she acted like the Hermione everybody knows and loves, but that day in Diagon Alley..." Harry murmured, eyes once again returning to the note that Hermione had given him. Addressed to both him and Draco, the note was a very simple apology. Generally Hermione would go on and on, but she had been so straight forward it really made him wonder.

"Perhaps you should go and talk to her." Draco whispered, approaching Harry and wrapping his arms around him. His chin rested on the top of Harry's head, eyes lingering on the piece of parchment that was causing his bonded so much frustration.

"I know I should. I owe her an apology and an explanation for my actions over the past few days but I don't know how to approach her. I mean look what I did to Ron; do you honestly think they'll just let me wander right in to the Gryffindor dorms?" Harry whispered, eyes closing tightly as he leaned back against Draco, taking comfort in the blondes arms.

"Where'd your famed Gryffindor bravery go, hm?" Draco murmured softly, fingers tangling in the ribbon Harry was running between his fingers absently.
"I though you said I was a Slytherin." Harry joked, tugging playfully on the tri-coloured ribbon.

"You're as much Slytherin as I am, you just happen to have a few Gryffindor qualities. Besides it's not like being brave is a bad thing. I'm brave, when I need to be." Draco grinned, pulling the ribbon away from him carefully and smoothing it out.

"You, brave? That's hilarious Draco; what else do you have?" Harry snorted, watching the pale fingers gently wrap the ribbon around his wrist.
"I took on a panther didn't I? Now go and talk to her." Draco said, tying the ends of the ribbon together. "Besides, if anything goes wrong, I'll be right here." He said, fingers taping Harry's temple. Harry nodded and looked at the piece of parchment lying forgotten on the bed, his fingers returned to stroking the ribbon he now wore as a bracelet.

"I'll go now." He muttered, raising his hand and sliding his fingers through the pale locks on his bonded's head.
"Right, and if you need help just give us a shout. I'll be there in a flash with an army of snakes." Patting Harry's head in a gesture of finality, Draco freed his hair and glided from the room. Harry stuck his tongue out in the direction of the door, damn Draco for making it sound so simple.