Part Thirty Three

Chapter Thirty Three

A/N Today's chapter proper.  Anyone else sense something coming???

Her father was like a child, his excitement palpable as he planned the trip away with Eamonn. Martha was concerned, obviously he was still not a hundred percent and she prayed that he didn’t fall ill, fail in what he wanted to do, or feel that he was being a burden on the others travelling with him. But she’d primed Eamonn secretly on as much as she could, and she could do no more.

Sonny was brilliant stepping in to help out at the restaurant, that meant Martha could spend a little bit more time helping her father prepare for his trip.  On Thursday, Martha was working, Sonny had the night off, and her father was packing his bag for his trip. Lucy was supposed to be attending the Women’s Institute, but instead she came into the restaurant, just as they were about to open.

                “Oh Martha, it’s a disaster!”

She rushed over to her Aunt, “what is it?” Helping her on to the stool near the counter, she took her hand. “Are you ok?”

Lucy fanned herself a little, trying to calm her emotions, “it’s Nancy!” She named her cousin who lived an hour away. “She’s fallen, hurt her leg. She can barely walk...” Her eyes flashed up to Martha’s, “she’s had the doctor out and refused to go to hospital. So she’s stuck. I said I’d go see her...but there aren’t any trains...”

Her Aunt’s concern was palpable, so she poured her a brandy, “do you want me to drive you there?” She glanced around, it was a busy-ish night, Paul could probably cope for an hour without her but realistically not for the whole evening, she’d rostered the staff with the knowledge that she’d be there.

                “You can’t, you’re too busy.”

Martha was racking her brains, she wanted to help her so much, but her hands were tied with the restaurant, “let me call Sonny, I don’t know where he is.”

He answered on the second ring, “what’s up?”

She sighed, “hmm, where are you?”

                “Gym, just warming down. Do you need me? Suddenly busy?”

                “Could you drive Aunt Lucy to Hayfield? Her cousin’s ill. I’m chock-a-block here, and she’s a bit desperate.”

                “I am not desperate,” Lucy protested.

Sonny hearing that started to laugh, “can I borrow Herman?”

She smiled at Lucy, “he’ll be back at the house in fifteen minutes, once he’s showered he can take you. Do you need a hand packing?”

Lucy shook her head, “no, I’ll be fine. Will you manage without me this weekend? With your Dad being away?”

                “We’ll be fine, you HAVE to go, I can see how upset you are.”

Lucy reached out and squeezed her hand, “Martha you are a good person, you do too much for everyone. You should look after yourself a bit better. Put yourself first more often.”

Martha came around the counter to hug her aunt, “I’m lucky to have had you all those years.”

With a pff at the emotions on display, she played it down, “don’t be stupid, I loved being part of your life. Now, I’ll call you tomorrow. If she’s ok I’ll be home on Saturday, if not it may be a few days more.”

                “Do what you need to. OK?”

It was a busy night, every table was booked, and whilst a really busy night saw the tables filled twice, tonight, everyone seemed to eat, drink and spend a lot of money, not something she could complain about, but something that kept her and Paul running around like idiots.