Part 2

The next day:

Asher sat on the stairs of the cafeteria, waiting for Shehzad when he heard the unmistakeable voice of… He then realised he still didn’t even know her name. “Hey dude! How are you?”

He looked up and raised an eyebrow moodily. He was grumpy and miserable and it was all this girl’s fault. “Are you bipolar or something?” he asked, looking over her jeans, cropped top and heels.

Heera raised an eyebrow amusedly. “Excuse me?”

“Every time I see you, I get a different version of you… Sometimes you’re nice, like now… and sometimes, you’re just plain mean.” he said sulkily.

Heera smiled and figured out what the problem was. He looked so cute, actually; like a little kid who just dropped their ice cream on the floor, when it wasn’t even halfway finished.

And she knew her sister could be as cuddly as a hedgehog at the best of times. The picture painted in Heera’s head had her chuckling to herself.

“You coming in?” she asked. “Waiting for a friend.” he muttered disinterestedly. Heera really wanted to laugh out loud. Hana had surely done a number on this guy. He looked like he had it so bad.

“Well, when you do… you’ll figure out the issue here” she smiled, and was about to turn around and walk away when she heard, “Hey Asher man. Sorry I’m late. I stayed back to talk to the teach-“

The voice stopped talking and the guy it belonged to literally stopped to star at Heera, who gulped under the scrutiny and managed to gather herself enough to flash her dimples at him.

“Oh God, he is so cute…” she thought to herself.

Ignoring Asher, Shehzad stepped towards Heera. “Hi… I’m Shehzad. I haven’t seen you around… first year?” he asked, extending his hand to hers. She shook it and nearly felt shaken up herself at the jolt of electricity that ran through her at the contact. “Heera. Yes, first year. Graphic design” she answered. “Hey, me too… but second year” he smiled, still holding onto her hand.

“Really? Wow! Ok, at least I have someone to help me out with my assignments” she winked cheekily, the apprehensive feeling she’d felt only moments before giving way to her infectiously bubbly nature. Shehzad chuckled. “Anytime”

“Are you two quite done?” Asher asked coldly after standing up – not that they’d even noticed. “Yeah sure. You meeting friends for lunch, Heera?” Shehzad asked as he walked into the cafeteria next to her, with Asher following close behind; his face green with raging jealousy.

“Clearly the thunderbolt isn’t a onetime occurrence with this one! Trust her to like sweet Shehzad, though…” he thought spitefully of his own brother.

“Yeah, you could say that” she answered vaguely.

“Guys! I’ve been waiting forever!” Nina said in her trademark high-pitched voice as she approached the trio, her eyes set on Asher. Heera sensed something off about the girl and didn’t like her immediately. And if there was one thing Heera could count on, it was her gut instinct.