Chapter One: Robin

I stared at the vibrant decorations of Ranchero Hut Mexican Restaurant, standing behind the ordering counter, watching out the window as palm trees stretched into the neon desert sky. The ceilings were decorated with wispy, green and red streamers. The walls were painted a beige color and adorned with paintings of cactuses and sunsets. One even displayed a mural of the Hollywood Hills. The floors were made of russet-colored Saltillo tile. The restaurant was empty besides me, Marlena and Katie, my two co-workers, and the cook in the back. The place smelled of grease and fried burritos. I was only working there as a summer job to make some money. I was in college, studying journalism at UCLA.

I whistled to myself, feeling like dancing around. An indescribable giddiness filled me, for no discernible reason at all. Marlena was mopping the floor, as she sassily danced to the music that was playing. Katie hummed gently as she wiped off the counter.
"Do you think anyone's even going to come in? We haven't had a customer for a half an hour," I asked Marlena.
"Probably not,'' she replied. She was nineteen, like me, but short and curvaceous. Her hair was long, dark, and curly, and her skin was smooth and bronze in color.

Just then I heard a car pull into the parking lot. My boredom was immediately lifted, and I gasped. Marlena giggled, and Katie looked up from her work.

"It's just a car, Rob,"
I fixed my posture. Someone was coming in. The door swung open. A very tall, slender boy stepped in. He looked 20, maybe nineteen. He had dark hair and was dressed in mostly black.

I smiled nervously and exchanged glances with Marlena and Katie.
"Good evening, sir. Welcome to Ranchero Hut, how can I help you today?" I said, trying to sound as bright as I possibly could.
"I want a job," he grunted. He made a gesticulation towards the help wanted sign.
"Alright. Leave your name and phone number on this scrap of paper,"
I handed him the thin scrap of stationery, he jotted something down, and left, saying nothing.
"I really hope he doesn't get hired," Katie said. "He's a little freaky,"
Katie's wish did not come true.