Chapter Seven: Robin

The next day at work was quite busy. I was very excited for the weekend, not that I had plans. I'd probably go over to Marlena's to help her pick an outfit for her date with Ivan, and maybe go visit my parents, but nothing else. I took an unholy amount of orders that day. There were a few guys that caught my eye, but the thought of talking to them made me feel nervous and sweaty. Bob the manager probably wouldn't like it too much if I was flirting with (or attempting to) flirt with guys on the job. They'd never return my affection anyway.
Toward the end of the day, Bob sent Marlena and Katie to pick him up a cheeseburger for him, and Joey went to take out the trash. I was left inside with Bob and Jordan, and Jordan was in the bathroom. I stared blankly at the door of the restaurant, then my eyes turned to the clock. I waited with boredom.
A smoky smell hit my nostrils. Fire. Something was on fire. I sprang to the kitchen, trying to find the source of the smell.
It was the stove. There was a fire spurting out of a pot on the stove, spreading rather quickly. I panicked, not knowing what to do. I saw Jordan run in from the direction of the bathroom. His turquoise eyes were also full of terror. I turned on the faucet, turned on the sprayer, and began to spray the dancing orange flames. They showed no sign of lessening.
"Don't panic!" he cried. "I'll do something!"
"Then do it!" I said. I began screaming Bob's name, as his restaurant was about to burn down. He didn't come waddling out of his office in the back, and I began to worry that he had died or something. I heard the sound of glass breaking. Moments later, Jordan came charging into the kitchen, spraying white foam over the fire.

I wanted to pinch myself. The fire extinguisher. Why hadn't I thought of that? Sometimes my own mindlessness shocked me. The white suds engulfed the fire, making it dissolve into nothingness.
Just then, Bob came running out, cussing.
"There was a fire, sir. I think the stove was left on by accident,"
"God dammit, I can't believe I slept through that."
I desperately wanted to roll my eyes. Bob was most certainly the type of man to sleep through a fire, as he was notorious for dozing off in the back office.
There wasn't much damage, either than some food being destroyed and the broken glass from the fire extinguisher.
It took a while to clean up the mess.
"It was insane," I told Katie and Marlena, as they helped us clean. "I smelled something burning, so I went to the kitchen, and I saw that this pot was on fire. I freaked out, of course, and I started spraying it with water," I exclaimed. I did a very awkward reenactment of the events of ten minutes ago.
"Then, Jordan came charging in with the fire extinguisher,"
I sounded like a war hero rekindling a memory of combat. "It was impressive,"
I kept exchanging looks with Jordan. He had saved the restaurant from burning down.
Then Jordan did something I had never seen him do.
He grinned.
Jordan Montgomery may have been an incompetent dishwasher, but he wasn't a bad firefighter.