1.) Growing Up

(Ashlyn's model above)

10K POV

She put her eye to the scope, getting the zombie in her sights. A deep breath in, pulled the trigger and the zombie went down.

"I did it!" She cheered.

"Good job, sweetie." I said, ruffling her long hair.

"I'm getting better, aren't I, Dad?" She asked.

Every time the word "Dad" came out of her mouth, I couldn't help but smile.

It's been 12 years. My daughter is growing up just fine. She's had some close calls, but my surviving lessons have saved her countless of times. Along with myself. I never let her out of my sight.

Her name is Ashlyn. Ashlyn Nicole. It was Maddi's favorite name for a girl.

"You're almost better than me." I replied.

"No way, you're so much better, Dad." Ashlyn told me.

She swung my sniper on her back and started walking over to her kill. I followed right behind her.

"Where'd the bullet hit?" I asked.

"Right under the eye." Ashlyn pointed.

"Good hit, sweetie." I said, giving her a high five.

I looked up at the sky, trying to decipher the time. The sun was starting to set.

"We should head back. It's going to be dark soon." I told my daughter.

"Okay." She said.

I took her hand and we walked back.

*

The fire crackled. Ashlyn was sharpening a stick, little flecks of the bark landed in the fire. I could tell she was bored.

"Any stories you want to hear?" I asked.

She didn't answer. She just out her stick and knife down and put her head in her hands and watched the fire.

"What's wrong, Ash?" I asked.

"Nothing. You don't want to hear it." She said, sounding exactly like Maddi. My heart hurt.

"Of course I do, honey. I want to know what's up." I said, scooting closer. I wrapped her in a hug.

"Promise you won't get mad?" She asked.

"I promise." I said, lifting her chin up to meet my eyes.

We had the same eyes. They were blue, but they had Maddi's mood detector. I could tell she was upset based on how shiny and bright blue they were.

"Okay, well... I want to hear a story about Mom."

My stomach dropped. I knew I should've expected this at some point, but she was still so young.

"You know I don't like talking about it." I told her.

"I knew you would get mad. I'm sorry." She whimpered.

"No, don't be." I said. "What do you want to hear?"

"What was she like? Was she pretty? Was she funny?" Ashlyn asked.

Thinking about Maddi made my heart break. I missed her every day. For 12 years, I've been alone. Just Ashlyn and I. 12 years and it still felt like I lost her yesterday.

"She was very pretty and very funny." I replied.

"What was she like, though?" Ashlyn asked.

"What do you mean?"