Chapter 11 Sutekh's POV

"My king," I heard someone call. I looked from the map of Egypt. Amenhet stood before me. His jaw was trembling, and he held a sack in his hands. Dried blood on it. 

"What is that," I demanded. I had yet to see Horab return from his mission. It had been almost three days since I sent him. He should have arrived back at the palace by now.

"Our scouts found Horab. Or what is left of him," Amenhet replied, dropping the sack. It hit the floor with a squelch. I felt my anger flare up.

"WHAT," I roared walking over. Shoving Amenhet aside. I opened the bag and was met with the smell of decay and death. Horab's skull staring at me. Some muscle is still on the bones. His eyes had been eaten by the vultures.

"How is this possible, where was he found," I asked. "Horab was the best assassin we had. There should not be any reason he was killed," I added looking at Amenhet.

"We do not know, sire, we found his body by an abandoned campsite," Amenhet said. I thought for a moment. Rubbing my face with my hands. 

"But if Horab is dead sire," Amenhet added. I knew what he was implying. Horab was murdered. And was murdered by those he was supposed to kill.

"Then Makara and Ka live. And no doubt already arrived in Memphis," I snapped in agitation. My advantage was slipping through my fingers. No doubt she pleaded for Ahmose to protect her. And like the weakling he was, he allowed her to live.

"Do you think that Ahmose would use her to his advantage, attack us when we least expect it," Amenhet asked. I shook my head, Ahmose is a fool. He would see her as a victim. And would not use her as an advantage in this war. He was a soft hearted fool.

"Sire there has also been another development," another soldier said. I turned and nodded for him to continue to speak.

"We have heard rumors that the cult of Anubis have begun to muster forces and will march to Memphis to aid them in the rebellion," he said. 

"Impossible, the cult only cares for the dead. Not the living. Why would they possibly want to help Memphis and its king," I demanded. I looked at Ausar. His face was an unreadable mask. 

"Did you know about this development," I said. Ausar shook his head. But his eyes told me a different story. 

"If the cult is moving, we must eliminate them immediately," I said. I turned to Amenhet. Akhil and his jackals have lived for too long. I should have wiped them out a very long time ago.

"Take some troops and locate the cult. Eliminate them before they have a chance to reach Memphis. They will not aid Ahmose and his son," I snapped. He stood at attention and bowed. Taking with him the rest of the troops in the room. I turned to Ausar.

"Are the men ready to march," I hissed out through gritted teeth. Ausar paused and looked over the scroll in his hand. No doubt reviewing the reports from the generals who were training the new troops outside the city walls. 

"My king, it may take some more time before our troops are ready. They are young and need more training," Ausar said reading out the reports. I slammed my fists onto the table. Sending scrolls tumbling to the ground. 

"We have run out of time Ausar, we must make ready the troops we have. How many troops do we have now," I asked. 

"Not counting Amenhet and his men, 2000 soliders, 500 archers, and 500 chariots and men," he said. "But it is not enough to bring down a stronghold such as Memphis," Ausar added.

"Ausar, get all the men in Hierakonpolis ready to march, we are leaving at first light. We must take Memphis. Or our cause will be lost," I snapped. 

"Are you sure that is wise my lord, we should take more time. Prepare a decisive battle strategy," he said. I turned, feeling my blood boil. 

"Did you not hear me, we must defeat Ahmose. Kill his son, and capture our advantage back. If not then we will be targeted. I did not spend my entire life trying to unite Egypt just to have it undermined by some prince and a bitch who could not stay loyal," I said. " Now go and do as I command," I snapped. He bowed and left the room. I could not see my dream fall to some girl and boy prince. I made my way from my presence chamber to the small shrine of Set in my personal chambers. I entered it, the servants quickly bowing and leaving me. I walked over to the small shrine of Set. The shrine was small. Bearing the image of Set. The animal head bearing ruby eyes. Its gold ears pricked in high alert. The pedestal, a dark stone carved in the images of how he killed his brother. I had always wanted to be like the great god. The great spoke to me. Told me what to do.

"Great Set, god of the desert and chaos. Hear your beloved servant. Is this your path for me? I have done all you asked.  I killed my brother, took his throne. Your will is my will. Show me your will," I said bowing to the shrine. I want an answer. I needed an answer.

"Sutekh, my devoted servant, my incarnation here on earth. You will rule Egypt, and if you want to rule you must kill the seer. If she dies, you will live," a voice like the howling of the sands. Could it be the great god Set himself? Answering my prayers, and helping me in my mission to unite Egypt. 

"But great Set, you told me the girl was the key in conquering Egypt," I said. The voice laughed. Almost like a howl. I should have known better than to question the gods.

"She must be killed, or her seed will kill you and take your throne. Wear your crown," the voice said. I wondered what he meant. Would she have a child with me? Or would she have a child with that no good prince of Memphis.

"But how," I asked. But the voice remained silent. I stayed on the floor all night trying to understand why the great god Set would want to tell me these things. 

The next morning I mounted my chariot. The crown of Upper Egypt upon my head. I crossed my arms, one dagger in each hand. We rode through the city. The citizens of Hierakonpolis grimly staring as the soldiers marched. Many young men and boys we recruited from the families in the city itself. The other chariots would meet us outside the city. As Ra's light touched the gates of Hierakonpolis, we rode out of the city and headed north to Memphis. I knew what I had to do. Makara had to die. If I wanted to rule Egypt, she must die.