01x06

MIKAELSON MANSION

MIKAELSON MANSION

[Klaus and Elijah sit opposite each other in the living room, both reading. Klaus is reading "A Poison Tree" by William Blake, and Elijah is reading one of his mother's grimoires. A dead girl lays on the coffee table as they listen to classical music. After a moment, Rebekah and Amelia enter.]

Rebekah: So, this is what you do the first time we're back together as a family? Vampire book club?

Klaus: [continues reading] Reading edifies the mind, sister. Isn't that right, Elijah?

Elijah: Yes, that's quite right, Niklaus.

Amelia: And what's the reason for that? [gestures to the dead girl on the table]

Elijah: This is a...[gestures as though he's searching for a word]...peace offering.

Klaus: I presumed, after so much time desiccating in a coffin, that my big brother might be a bit peckish.

Elijah: And I explained to my little brother, that forgiveness cannot be bought. I'd simply prefer to see a change in behavior that indicates contrition, and personal growth.

[Klaus rolls his eyes guiltily, and Elijah gestures to the girl]

Elijah: Not this nonsense.

Amelia: [sarcastically] Pft... good luck with that, you have a better chance seeing pigs fly. 

[Elijah and Rebekah chuckle at the girl comment, while Klaus just looks at the girl annoyed]

Klaus: [grins] Well, I couldn't very well let her go to waste, could I? 

Rebekah: Well, I suppose I'll go fetch the rubbish bin, because she's staining a two hundred-year-old carpet.

[Elijah looks up from his book to see the girl bleeding out onto the table, where the blood drips onto the floor]

Elijah: Ah, yes.

Klaus (voiceover): [recites "A Poison Tree" by William Blake] I was angry with my friend: [Klaus looks at Elijah] I told my wrath, my wrath did end. I was angry with my foe: [Marcel walks into the Palace Royale Hotel, looking for Klaus] I told it not, my wrath did grow And I watered it in fears, [Cami brings flowers to her brother's grave, to find that someone spray painted "MURDERER" over the headstone] Night and morning with my tears; And I sunned it with smiles, [Father Kieran pulls wooden boards off the windows of the church, and waves to a group of men standing outside the door] And with soft deceitful wiles. And it grew both day and night, [Klaus looks at Elijah, and then to Amelia, who leaves the room, and pulls out her sword from the scabbard that she carries in her back] 'Til it bore an apple bright. And my foe beheld it shine. And he knew that it was mine, And into my garden stole [Klaus watches Elijah set down the grimoire and follows Amelia into the kitchen] When the night had veiled the pole; In the morning glad I see; My foe outstretched beneath the tree.