Restless

Kurapika was tired to say the least. He'd been awake for two days now and he definitely looked the part. Dark circles with fierce bags were embedded below his eyes; his skin had paled as his eyes reddened.

It wasn't necessarily on purpose that he wasn't sleeping, it was just that everytime he closed his eyes, he saw the spiders. He saw his clans' eyes jarred on shelves. He saw all the things he wished he could unsee and though he couldn't bare to be alone, he lacked the courage to seek out companionship.

Currently it was evening, and Kurapika was stirring some cream into a warm cup of coffee. He glanced at his phone, wondering if he should call Leorio but it was late. Besides, Leorio had better things to do than- the blonde jumped- his phone began to ring.

Kurapika, desperate to keep his mind away from its usual dark thoughts, answered quickly, "Hello?" He winced at the hoarseness of his own voice.

"Kurapika?" The blonde recognized that voice, "You answered quickly."

"Leorio." The blonde croaked, trying to hide how pleasantly surprised he was.

"Are you okay? I haven't heard from you in awhile, you sound terrible."

"Thanks," Kurapika said, words laced with sarcasm.

"Are you sick? Have you used too much nen again? You're gonna hurt yourself. Where are you?"

Kurapika hesitated, "I-" He cut himself off, "You don't need to worry about me."

"But I do need to worry!" Leorio shouted. There was a hesitant pause, "I'm sorry... Just, please tell me you're taking care of yourself."

The blonde froze, feeling a little guilty as he gazed into his cup of coffee, "I'm okay, really, just a little tired is all."

"Where are you? I'm in the city, you nearby?"

Kurapika smiled at the thought of seeing Leorio, but didn't want to make him worry or waste his time, "You really don't need to-"

"Please..." Leorio's voice sounded softer, sadder. "I know you probably don't really want to see me... but I really want to see you."

"Leorio, I-" the blonde paused, giving in, "I am in the city."

"I'm glad, didn't know we were so close. What's your address?"

Kurapika, slightly reluctant, disclosed his location to his close friend.

~Time-Skip~

It was early, Kurapika knew that much. Looking through a few slats of his broken blinds, he caught glimpses of early twilight. He sighed, standing up and walking to the kitchen. Time to brew more coffee.

..

Leorio turned, it was early morning. He didn't sleep quite as much as usual. He was too worried for his blonde companion. Kurapika didn't sound well. But it had been too late to visit him, so he decided that he should wait till the next day. Yet, time was cruel and it was still too early to meet up with his blonde friend.

He contemplated calling him. It was early and it was possible that Kurapika was still resting. Leorio paused his train of thought to imagine the kurta all cuddled in bed. He shook his head, clearing the images before he continued to reason in his mind, looking for a way to justify calling him this early.

The blonde was possibly resting, he said he was somewhat tired last night. Though he probably wouldn't answer if he were asleep. In fact, his phone would be on silent, right? So maybe he could call and Kurapika would answer if he were awake. But if Kurapika's phone wasn't on silent then the ringing would wake him. Leorio's heart warmed as he pictured sleepy Kurapika mumbling into the phone. Leorio shook his head again. He should really stop thinking like that.