XLI

Minho climbs through his bedroom window as quietly as possible. At 2 am, both his dad and aunt should be asleep.

He rummages through his wardrobe, grabbing his clothes - which consists mainly of black jeans and graphic t-shirts - and then also packing his laptop, along with its charger and a portable power bank.

Once his bag is packed and zipped, Minho finds himself hesitating.

Am I really doing this? Am I really running away with a dude I only just met? Damn this sounds like a crappy romance story.

He cards his hand through his hair. No, Minho. You didn't meet him today. You met him months ago, when he started sending you those letters.

He stopped you from feeling lonely, and now it's your turn to return that favour. So get your ass out that door and bloody do it.

"Dad?" Minho gently shakes his sleeping father's shoulder, being extremely careful not to wake the troll next to him. Lee Minsuk slowly opens his weary eyes, eventually focusing on his son kneeling in front of him.

"Minho? What is it? It's late, you should be asleep..."

"I need to talk to you, now." The urgency in his voice is what compels his father to leave the comfiness of his bed, and he follows his son out into the hallway.

"What-"

"I'm leaving."

Minsuk goes silent, "Pardon?"

"Dad," Minho sighs, "I don't want to stay here anymore. I tried to get along with her in the beginning but she never let me. I'm sorry dad, but I hate her. I can't stand that she's trying to take mum's place. I can't live with her around anymore, so I'm gonna go away. I might come back, but not for a while." He pauses, scratching at the back of his head. "And before you suggest it, I'm not going to let you leave her for me. I can see that she makes you happy, at least."

Minho's dad listens to his son's speech with growing sadness in his eyes. "But... you'll be alone?"

He shakes his head, "No I won't be. I'm going with a friend." His dad tries to hide it, but he can't help the smile that appears on his face at the word 'friend' coming from his son's mouth.

"Okay," he finally says. Minho feels the relief wash through him.

"Thank you," he says, wrapping his arms around his dad's neck.

"Will you need anything?"

"Hmm, I don't want to ask for much, but I guess we could really do with some money if you can spare any."

Minsuk smiles, "Will a million do?"

Minho lets his dad clamber back to bed after one last hug goodbye, before he runs back to his room and picks up his things, not forgetting to shove his wallet in his pocket and pull his beanie over his dark hair.

After he's finally left the house, Minho begins the short walk to the reserve, where he and Jisung agreed to reconcile in the same spot by the cliff. Before he reaches the gate, an idea suddenly pops into his head, and he turns back. 

Coming to the closest 24 hour convenience store, he hastily picks up a few things, stuffing them into his already pretty full bag after paying, and going on his way again. The cold breeze bites at his bare arms, but to be honest, he can barely feel it.