Chapter 6

A Twist of Fate

I took the stairs two at a time, not slowing my pace until I was safely inside the warmth of my sitting room. My steps never halted, however, striding right past the blazing hearth and into my bedroom. I could hardly rip the puffy dress from my body fast enough, exchanging it for leggings and a loose, tunic style top. My worn, leather boots had only just been slipped onto my feet before my hand was closing on the door that led back to the corridor. When I swung the door open, my heart nearly leapt from my chest. Just on the other side of the opening, stood an equally surprised Franco, fist raised as if to knock.

"Goddess, you startled me." I breathed, hand raised to my chest.

"Sorry" He replied sheepishly, stepping aside to allow me to exit my rooms. Together, we walked toward the stairs. "How is your ankle?"

I stopped briefly, lifting the ankle in question in the air and giving it a little wiggle, "Almost as good as new." I smirked, "How is your jaw?"

At the mention, his hand instantly rose to rub the injured bone, as if on instinct. "Good enough." He smiled brightly at me. Then, as always, his smile was contagious, and I found myself grinning stupidly along with him. "I was just coming up to invite you to go to the city with me, but it seems you've already got plans. Is there something fun happening this afternoon that I do not know about?"

I laughed, leaning over and bumping my shoulder against his, "Nothing especially fun, unfortunately. I'm planning on blowing off some steam at the lake, I only just escaped my mother's weekly tea."

"Ah, a luncheon in the snake pit." His handsome face was drawn in a grimace, knowing well my hatred of afternoon tea, and the less than subtle power moves the ladies were willing to commit there. "I don't suppose I could convince you to join me at The Den tonight instead?"

The idea was tempting. The Den had been a favorite hangout for the two of us since we were old enough to enter. The dance club was the best in town for two reasons: the consistent large crowds, and the lack of clear lighting. The two of us could blend in seamlessly, it always felt almost as if we were normal. But currently, the thought of being surrounded by so many people made my skin crawl. I needed to be alone to recharge like I needed air to breathe, the desire a burning reminder at the edge of my consciousness. I shook my head in response to his question, a grimace forming on my own lips.

He sighed, "And I assume you want to be alone. So just promise me one thing, then."

"Yes?"

We had just stepped off the last step onto the well trafficked ground floor, so he only politely grabbed my elbow to stop me, and kept a reasonable distance between us. But his eyes were a different story, proclaiming his love for me as loudly as any words. "Just promise me that you're not beating yourself up over all of this."

"Only if you promise not to have too much fun without me tonight." I could only manage a weak smile, but he nodded anyway, smiling back.

He turned with a wink, "I'll see you later tonight," Then, he strode off toward the front gate of the palace, where he would be free to leave as he pleased. Meanwhile, I was left to sneak into the woods through the back door of the church, and later crawl through a hole in the curtain wall.

Oh, the unfairness of it all.

~*~

The run I had planned as an outlet for my tumultuous emotions was as short lived as it was unpleasant. The extra hours of training every morning were having an effect on my body, and I only hoped that I would grow used to it sooner rather than later, otherwise I was going to be in the market for a new hobby. While the run hadn't been the solution for my aching muscles, I knew of one thing that surely would be.