4

I first felt a cool, rough touch on my shoulder, the small sensation prickling in some places, before I finally heard muted conversation and muffled walking encompassing me. Then, a much louder noise gradually reverberated through me - a pained groan, uncontrollably leaking from my throat. 

A low coo sounded at my ear as something abruptly dug into my skin. 

I yelped, my eyes snapping open as I wildly swatted at my shoulder. My attacker angrily squawked, my backhand flinging it away. My wild heartbeat still echoed through my ears as I repeatedly blinked, trying to clamber through the haze clouding my mind and understand what the hell was going on. A bitter medicinal smell assaulted my nose, climbing down into my chest with every sharp inhale. 

I was laying on a little cot, thin brown blankets sliding off my lifted torso. The room was somewhat sizeable, infinite jars placed on shelves at a far wall and a simple table full of metallic items situated a few feet away to my right. It didn't take long for me to notice the slender woman seated at the table, her arms wrapped around a...chicken? 

"That was rather rude." Her arched brows lifted, her criticism revealed to be teasing by the small quirk of her lips. The woman's voice wasn't particularly melodic, but the smooth pronunciation evoked by her manner of speech was unexpectedly pleasant. 

Or, perhaps I was just tired of hearing the hen's unhappy clucking. 

I couldn't suppress a second groan as a wave of dull pain assaulted my body. Really, I haven't even felt like this after tough battles. 

"Where am I?" I ignored the hoarseness of my rough voice, slowly digging through the sheets as I tried to get off the bed, fighting with my stiff joints. The last thing I remembered was the fear clamoring past my heart as I fell through darkness, but now I was in some random house, perfectly alive. I distractedly considered praying to some god - or to my dumb luck - as a thanks for my deathless state. 

"No remorse for your violent actions? Look, Lele, the little whelp we took in is a selfish, ingrateful crook." 

A set of coos responded, seemingly in agreement. 

I felt my mouth twist into a slight sneer, glancing to the side to reassure myself of her weaponless hands. 

"Don't insult me with such a light tone - while talking to a chicken, no less." 

"Should I speak to a boorish little whelp instead?" 

I snorted at her pointed words, finally flinging off the last of the blankets. But, it only took a single attempt of movement for me to suck in a gasp of air, my teeth clenching as I hissed. My teary gaze narrowed, only now noticing the planks of wood tightly tied to my left leg. 

"The bone is broken. You won't be running from your sins any time soon."

I shot her a look of displeasure. Who was this woman? I've never met anyone so...irksome.

"You seem to be having a lot of fun at my expense. Does my pain amuse you?" 

"Well, I'm having fun watching your pathetic struggle." 

I felt my brow twitch. 

"You-," 

A strong knocking interrupted my annoyance, my head turning to look at the door along the wall. 

"Miss Hebe? It's Dutch."

Dutch? The only Dutch that came to mind was one that our unit was explicitly warned about. I couldn't help but stiffen as I shot the seated woman a wary look; the possibility wasn't that high, but on the off-chance that this was One-eyed Dutch...

The antagonizing lady - Hebe, it seemed - tilted her head, throwing me a slow, mocking grin as she carefully placed the chicken down, dusted off her skirt, and swiftly walked towards the entrance. Vexingly, she paused, raising a finger to her lips, warning in her eyes before carefully opening the door, the dark wood facing my way and blocking her profile. 

 "Sir Dutch, you're back today again I see!"

"Yes, of course. Those two-bit bandits seemed to want something here. My unit will be keeping an eye out for more time to come."

"As expected of the Sentinels!" 

My features twisted into a rigid cringe; my luck had seemingly run out. One-eyed Dutch had seen my face that night - if I was discovered now, I would be leaving this trashy shack horizontally. My eyes bore into the door, teeth grinding. I couldn't run, and I definitely couldn't fight off the young Sentinel captain. My only option seemed to stay put and, unreliably, temporarily trust the woman. 

"So, I'm sure you know why I'm here today?" 

My breath stilled. I didn't dare make a sound. 

"Yes, yes, you come once every week. Ah, but unfortunately I haven't seen anyone suspicious recently either, my apologies."

The man's sigh echoed through the room, overpowering other miscellaneous noises coming from outside. 

"I see. Well, two of those bastards are still unaccounted for, so if you see anyone strange, please - notify me immediately." 

The two exchanged a few pleasantries before the door shut, Hebe still wearing a polite smile. Then, her brown eyes flashed towards me, her countenance shifting as her brows lifted and her features sneakily morphed. 

What an irritating grin. 

"Well, do you have something to say to me?" She smoothly returned to her earlier position, the chicken clucking at her feet as she placed both hands into her lap. 

I squinted. 

"What the hell would I have to say to you?" 

She tilted her head. 

"It's very simple, something even a child knows to do. Or should I go recall Sir Dutch?"

"No-," I struggled to protest through my coughing fit, choking after my jumping heart had interrupted my wary calm, "No, that won't be necessary. I'm just a traveler anyway, so there's really no need for someone of his status here." Her expectant smirk evoked a new wave of annoyance, but I haltingly persevered. "...Thank you...for understanding the needlessness of that action."

"Oh," she gave a little wave, her other hand swooping down to pick up the stupid chicken as she singsongingly answered, "Such a simple thing. No need for gratitude." 

I froze, seconds passing until stinging exasperation rose up to the tips of my ears. 

"You, you-!" My voice cracked at the unintentional movement of my leg, although I finally hissed out the rest of my pained sentence. "You, are an absolutely aggravating woman." 

Mellow laughter rang through the house, although I refused to look up at its source as I clutched my aching leg, waiting for the pain to fade away. To my own displeasure and vexation, I only spoke after her chuckling had died down some, and even then the bitterness in my low tone seemed awfully childlike.

"How'd I get here? And where am I, anyway? You never answered." 

Hebe leaned back, the chicken speedily fluttering up to perch on her legs. 

"You're in Sorong. About a week ago some merchant came by, dumping you here. You really were quite close to the path of no return, barely waking up until now. It was thanks to me you survived, you know." She nodded towards the metallic objects spread out along the table. She glanced at me; I looked back. Her lips lifted; my eyes narrowed. "Of course, there's really no need for much appreciation." 

We watched each other soundlessly. Seconds ticked by until I finally looked away, clicking my tongue in disgruntled concession. 

"Thank you for preserving my life." 

"I just enjoy my job." 

I gave a light scoff, words slipping too quickly to stop. "Not all physicians would consider taking in a dying, potentially dangerous man as their job." 

Unexpectedly, Hebe released a thoughtful hum, a finger stroking the underside of the crooning chicken's beak. 

"Then perhaps I simply like to save little whelps."