18. INTO THE WOODS (JIKOOK)

It was about 5 p

It was about 5 p.m. when the two best friends decided to head for the forest. The forest was said to be possessed. They knew about the Latin American folklore of La Llorona. La Llorona also known as "The Wailing Woman" is an oral legend about a female phantom who steals children and drowns them. Some even say that she seduces young men and kills them. No one knows the real truth behind her continuation in this planet.

Jimin and Jungguk weren't afraid of tales and folklores and so they wanted to explore the forest by themselves. They almost leapt for joy and hoped to meet the weeping woman.

The whistle of the gentle zephyr was audible. It was late in the evening. Jimin and Jungguk could feel chilly breeze brushing against their silky hair and sending a shiver down their spines prompting them to close the zippers of their jackets. The deeper they travelled into the forest, the colder they felt.

It is said that she mostly appears at night by the rivers, wearing a white gown with a veil. There was a river at the centre of the deep evergreen forest and that's exactly where the two boys were headed to. The birds were flying back to their nests and all the other animals were almost back in their dens. As the day bled into night, out came the creatures of the dark. The hooting of the owls and the loud flapping wings of the bats were some of the noises heard with the whistle of the chilly breeze. With each step taken forward, the crushing of the dead leaves could also be heard. They sensed some eerie appearance but none of them decided to tell anything.

Ignoring the eerieness they advanced in search of that river. Not long enough they noticed something glowing and shimmering as the reflection of the full moon shone upon it. They were very tired after trudging through the dense evergreen forest and hence they ambled towards the river. Their faces were beaming.

Suddenly Jimin's expression changed as if he saw something bone-chilling.
"Jungguk I think I saw a lady in a white gown," cried Jimin. Jungguk thought the older guy wanted to scare him and thus did not pay heed to his concern.

"LA LLORONA!" Jungguk shouted. "If you're here please show yourself." Just as those words articulated from his mouth, they heard from a far distant what seemed like a female weeping quietly. It is said that when one hears her wails sound in a distant she is near and vice versa. Those who hears her wailings are said to have misfortunes or even death. The boys knew about her wails too. Their lips were trembling and chanting silent prayers.

"Where are my sons?" the phantom cried. The silent prayers were repeated faster now as they prayed for their dear lives. They started to go back from where they began their journey. They could hear the additional footsteps chasing after them. Eventually, they made out of the forest and were heavily panting.

Just as they thought they were out of danger the phantom appeared in front of them. She was wearing a white gown with a veil just like the folklore explained. Her feet were floating in the air and she had a very odd-looking grin plastered on her face.

"Oh, my sons!" she cried and reached out her hand.
The boys ran as fast as their feet could carry them and the spirit followed after, crying, "Come back, my sons!"
Jungguk shouted back, "We are not your sons." After running for miles, they felt the spirit wasn't following them anymore. They paused for a while and began running their way back to their hotel. After entering into the busy streets of South California and into their hotel, Jimin cried out, "We are not doing this again. We almost died."

"We both heard her wailing and now God knows what's gonna happen to us," he added next, very terrified. Jungguk, on the other hand, seemed very laid back and said, "Relax Hyung, no misfortune will happen. It's just old folklore."

Later that night as Jimin went to use the loo, he couldn't believe what he saw. On the mirror it was written, "YOU HAVE HEARD MY WAILING, NOW WAIT AND SEE."

Hello my lovely readers, this is my first time writing a thriller-based fiction so I hope I did justice to the genre by maybe waking up your goosebumps a little! 😬😅
And as always, thank you for reading! I'll update soon.