chapter 4

It was time. 6.12 was packing their bags into two vans and I was sitting in one of the passenger seats with Eli sitting on my lap "will you come with me to see my pod?" said boy was playing with my hair when he asked me the serious question and I just sat stunned for a second "I don't know. In actuality, I am almost positive your pod will hate me, and it won't be because I'm human or a Halfling." My words were final and Eli was silent for a minute or so "you're a-?" "Yes" I answered before he could continue "I see how that would be an issue... but it's okay! I'll protect you!" Eli bounced in my lap and looked up at me determined. I pat his head and watch Abe, Cassidy and Fraser hop into the vehicle "the others are in the other van, it's going to be a long ride and we plan to take turns driving. Are you all set to go?" Abe gave me a small smile and as I nod and turn back to playing with Eli. There was a few more chatter before the car was started and we were off, our van leading the way while the other was keeping a safe distance away.

Much time had passed when I got a mental message from Chief.

(C= CHIEF, N=NO.19)

C: How are you feeling? Are you alright?

I narrowed my eyes in thought. Why is he asking me this? Did something I don't know about happen?

N: Yes. Why?

I sent a message back but he didn't answer for some time. I was getting annoyed; almost 20 minutes had gone by without a response.

C: Damian from 6.12 had spoken to me a couple days ago. He found you on the roof, asleep. You looked distraught and when he tried to wake you up, you grabbed his wrist in a vice grip. Afterwards you wouldn't meet his eyes... I can only assume you had a nightmare of -

N: Enough! I. Am. FINE

I put up a wall in my mind so he couldn't spout more bullshit and focused on watching the outside world, beyond the car. Eli was in the back asleep and the others were having a conversation about other mission strategies... well Abe and Fraser were "did something happen? You look upset" Cassidy spoke up, staring at the back of my head. It got both the others attention "Nineteen?" Abe spoke up now and I nod, not removing my eyes from the scenery. A tense silence filled the car afterwards and not long after it was time to switch drivers. Of course we didn't go straight back onto the road after pulling up to the closest servo, everyone got snacks and drinks. I only grabbed a packet of cheese twisties and a family pack of Pods, Mars bar, and a bottle of cola. I got Eli all that he wanted that I found in a reasonable price range, and got him a water bottle and a Sunkist for a beverage. I hated having to wake him up but I didn't want him to get hungry or thirsty halfway and need to either one, make a pit stop or two, have the others share their stuff.

The drive was supposed to take 4 hours in general but it took us seven as we ran into some issues. I didn't sleep on the drive, as I didn't want to have another memory like the one Damian saw. It's very rare that I don't get nightmares but when those times do come, I let myself relax and enjoy the bliss. It was getting dark and we had only just entered Diamel City, we needed to find our mission house and settle in before we actually started on our mission tomorrow "don't underestimate anyone, it could be the end of you, your team and anyone else around you" I told them before looking back at Eli. He was snacking on a bag of chips and talking quietly with Cassidy. It made me slightly glad that they were getting along, but slightly cautious like a protective Werewolf Mother.

After arriving at the house, Cassidy and I were the last ones inside as I showed her how to check the perimeter, which is something you always have to do, and what to watch for. I set up the room I was staying in and had Eli room with me, as I didn't care if we shared a bed. Said boy was currently in the kitchen while I sat on my bed, a strange feeling sitting in the pit of my stomach. Before I could think too much on it as knock resounded in my room and Damian entered without so much as a response. He closed the door and looked at me for a second "Edith is the first on watch tonight... I don't feel okay with that. What do I do?" his voice was gruff and annoyed "nothing. Pretend like nothing is wro-" a gasp from my own mouth cut off my sentence. A sharp throbbing was appearing in my head. Someone was trying to get through my mental wall. I pushed them back but they got through when I passed out.