SIX ¬ 𝑇𝑂𝑀𝑀𝑌'𝑆 𝑃𝐿𝐴𝑁𝑆

AFTER BEING AT THE CHURCH WITH POLLY, BELA RAN BACK TO THE SHELBY'S HOUSEHOLD, WHERE SHE HAD TOLD HER MOTHER TO GO ON HOURS AGO. Walking in, both Polly and Bela breathed a sigh of relief at finding Ophelia sat at the kitchen table. "It's bloody awful, there are people on the street, they've torn up people's houses."

All three women shook their heads in disbelief that it had happened, and all in a scheme to get the people of small heath to turn their backs on the peaky blinders. Hearing the doors slam open, the boy's arrival was well known, and by the sounds of it, it was not going to be a happy one.

"I'll get the beer," Polly muttered, knowing that the boys would need something strong, to come to terms with what had happened whilst they were away.

John was the first to storm through, "we were gone for one fucking day and they tear up the place." He seethed, as Polly, Bela and Ophelia motioned for them to sit down. Polly shook her head, "The coppers told everyone Arthur agreed to it when he was arrested, they said the Peaky Blinders had cleared out to the fair to let them do it."

"I never said nothing to that copper about smashing up bloody houses," Arthur exclaimed, becoming angrier at each moment. Bela folded her arms, "you may not have said anything Arthur, but now the people of Small Heath think you did, so you're fucked." She told him, as he downed his drink.

"Alright, alright. What pubs did they do?" Tommy asked his aunt who sighed in return. "The Guns, the Chain, the Marquis."

Bela scoffed, "so basically all the ones that pay us to protect them. That Inspector Campbell ain't daft, he knows how to get to us and when he won't stop until every last person in Small Heath believes we don't care and they can do whatever they want."

"But, they didn't touch the Garrison." Polly told her, "like Bee said, he's smart this copper. He knows that we wouldn't want him to touch the Garrison, so he didn't. Meaning we look more guilty by the minute."

They sat in silence for a moment, before Bela had had enough. She stood up, grabbing the boys drinks from their hands. "That's it, get up." She said, ignore the cries of protests coming from the boys. "You've got to show people you're still the cocks of the walk, do whatever you need to do, but don't let that copper tear everything down and get away with it." The boys nodded, walking away as Tommy walked up to the girl, handing her some cash.

"Go down to the pubs that were destroyed and hand the cash to the landlord," she nodded, sighing whilst looking at Tommy. "Look, Tommy, this copper is bad news and you know it. He's obviously after the guns." She said quietly as Tommy looked to protest, not realizing the girl knew about them.

"Don't interrupt me, Tommy, I was going to find out." He nodded, "Just be careful, okay? They're bad news, and if the coppers keep coming around here it's only going to get worse." Tommy nodded, giving Bela a small smile of comfort, something that was not always given, but when it was, Bela couldn't help but feel overjoyed.

++

Going around the streets of Small Heath had been tough on Bela, sneers were given to her wherever she was, and not that she could fault the people giving them to her, they had been tricked into thinking it was the Shelby's fault, and although she wasn't one of them by blood, people would have believed she was in on it and okay with it. They had all been tricked, all because of some Inspector that believed by doing this, he would get what he wanted. But Bela knew, if the inspector wanted to play dirty, Thomas Shelby would come back 10 times as hard.

It was getting close to sundown after Bela had gone to visit the pubs, the landlords at which had reluctantly taken the money Tommy had given her after she had persuaded them that Tommy nor the rest of the Shelby's knew anything of it. Luckily for Bela, the men had agreed, thankfully to Bela's charm which she was able to use, knowing full well it would help change the men's mind. Her mother had stayed behind after Tommy had sent everyone out, helping Polly clear up some of their neighbor's houses, to once again, reassure people. Walking down the street on her way home, she heard someone calling her name. "Bee! Bee!" Turning to see who it was, she saw Finn running up to her, holding what looked to be a portrait of the King. "Finn, why are you holding that photo?" She asked, raising her eyebrows.

"We're having a fire!" He told her as she still looked at his, confused. "And you're taking that photo to the fire?"

The young boy nodded his head, "we're throwing them in, everyone's, Tommy said it's a sign of protest or something. Down watery Lane, c'mon, everyone's going." Finn grabbed a hold of Bela's hand, running as she tagged along behind him.

When the pair arrived, men and women that Bela knew from each street of Small Heath were gathered around, drinks in their hands and smiles on their faces. This was Tommy's way of gathering the people of Small Heath, showing them they were still with them, and not with the police.

The fire roared as the pictures of the king stuck out, Bela had never seen anything like it, but she knew, the inspector would get word of his and it wouldn't be long until he came back. But that was exactly what Tommy had planned.

The young girl found John in the crowd, holding a cup of beer. "So this is his big plan, huh?" John nodded, chewing on his toothpick, still holding the pictures of the king. Arthur appeared and stood next to Bela, "I just hope he knows what the fuck he's doing." He said looking at Tommy, who was stood across from the three, moving to walk over as he saw Bela appear.

"So what's the plan, Tommy?" Bela asked lighting a cigarette as he came to stand next to her.

Tommy breathed heavily, "we stand our ground, don't let the bastards get the best of us."

"Word of advice Tommy, don't do anything stupid. You do anything you tell us all, we're in this together. You go down, we go down with you, remember that." She told him, looking at him dead in the eye.

He turned to her, "you know I already know that, whatever we've done, you've always been there. But I know what I'm doing, trust me when I say that Bee."

Bela nodded, wrapping her arm around both Tommy's and John, who was standing next to her, shoulders. She smiled, taking in the view of the fire and the people around it, laughing and smiling, wishing it would stay like this forever. But Bela knew the Inspector would be back, and she and the boys would prepare, for nothing is stopping the Shelby's when there's a war on their hands.