-❈ cнapтer 1 ❈-

»» ───── ↞✖↠ ───── ««

- cold-вlooded: wιтнoυт eмoтιon or pιтy; delιвeraтely crυel or calloυѕ -

ⳮⷤ ── ⲇ ── ⳮⷤ

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 〉
Back when the first discovery of giant, man-eating humanoids outpoured the daily newspapers, I became tedious. The human race's panicked response was to find and train a generation of brilliant soldiers who could lead humanity to triumph.

The dark stretched beyond the horizon, an infinite sea of confusion and despair. It seemed as though time itself didn't occur in this hellhole. Rotten foods left abandoned on the pavement below me; my foot lingered over the slushed tomato.

Mother had always told me not to come here. That was one of the few things I had ever recalled from my childhood. Other things begun to fade; like memories of how I used to play games of kicking the ball with my neighbours, Klaus and Mathis, before they had disappeared with their father.

That was one of the mysteries I'd yet to solve, in the meantime the training brigades were asserting propaganda to intrigue more fighters. Anyone at the age of six and higher were aimed. The idea was to find the weak and make them strong; whether it was to train them or to lead them in preparation for survival.

The military installation was widely regarded as a tremendous success since it achieved great figures such as Erwin Smith, the Survey Corps' 13th commander. And my mother's comrade.

Regardless, I took it upon myself and joined in something no one would ever imagine me doing. At this point I was too scared to think why.

"You've come to join the Underground district, right?" His voice rasped a bit.

As if purposely hidden away from human touch, I staggered on the damp soles on my boots and noticed the unfamiliar face. His arms were sleeved to his forearm and his hair was dark blond. Due to him venturing in the shadows, I couldn't quite figure out what other features he had.

"What do you want?" I muttered, barely giving him a second glance. The cold had turned bitter, and it sank into my bones.

Furtively, the vulnerable self made his way up to me. "You're from somewhere else, I can smell it." The man swayed his presence side to side, taunting me.

My eyes narrowed. I had grown up tired with people bringing my mother's name to my every achievement. I was hungry for power. I was desperate. I wanted to make a name for myself.

He leaned in. "What's your name, madam?"

But then he stopped, looking up with a scowl on his face, as a few voices came over from the background.