[2.06] uncle adam

LYDIA WAS A DAY AWAY FROM officially being an adult, and she was having an existential crisis. 

"I can't be eighteen, I can barely understand math, much less do taxes," Lydia moaned, pacing back and forth in her bedroom as Gwen watched her with an amused smile. "And we're supposed to go to college next year—I'm not ready for that! I still manage to screw up my laundry every other time I try to do it. All of my whites are going to be pink by the end of my first week!" 

Gwen chuckled softly, hugging one of Lydia's pillows to her chest. "We'll figure it out, Lydia," Gwen assured her. "This is how everyone feels before college. It's a learning curve." 

"I don't even know what I want to do after college," Lydia ranted. "Maybe I want to be a counselor, but who do I want to counsel? I've only had two relationships in my life, and neither of them ended well, so I can't be a marriage counselor. I don't even like kids, so you can count child therapist out. I could become a professor, but that means I'd have to get a doctorate, and that takes forever, plus it'll cost so much money! I'll be in debt for the rest of my life!" 

"A lot of doctorate programs in psychology actually pay for students to get their Ph.D.s," Gwen informed her. "It's the bachelor's degree and master's that'll put you under." 

"And maybe I won't even like psychology!" Lydia exclaimed. "What if I get into my first psychology class and realize I hate it? What'll I do then? I'm bad with numbers, chemistry makes me want to throw myself off a building—that eliminates most of the sciences. I'm doomed." 

"You're dramatic," Gwen corrected. 

Lydia glared at her, finally flopping down on her bed next to her best friend. "You're mean," she pouted. 

"I'm honest," Gwen told her with a laugh, laying down next to Lydia. "We'll figure out our futures when we need to. Worrying about it while we're still in high school won't do us any good—for now, let's just enjoy what's left of our senior year." 

Lydia turned her head to look at Gwen. "You're right," she mumbled. "How was your dad's alma mater, by the way? You never told me." 

Gwen shrugged. "It was fine," she said. "But I don't think it's where I want to go to school. I want to go to a bigger school—more opportunities, more open-mindedness, less gossip." 

"So, University of Seattle is still number one?" Lydia asked with a grin. 

"Yeah," Gwen said. "And it'll be even better if we end up going together." 

Lydia grinned at the thought. She and Gwen had been talking about the idea of living together during college, and despite all the magazines and articles that advised against living with your best friend, Lydia couldn't deny that the idea was exciting. Plus, she didn't like the idea of living with someone she'd never met before. 

"Guess we'll find out in a few more weeks," Lydia said. University of Seattle was both of their top choices, and they'd been impatiently waiting for their replies from the school since they applied a few months ago. Lydia was fairly sure they would both get accepted since they were in the top ten percent of their grade, but there was always a possibility that one or both of them would be rejected. 

A quiet knock on Lydia's door frame caused both of the girls to look up. Johanna stepped into the room, brandishing a small blue envelope. "This came in the mail for you Lydia, it's from your uncle." 

Lydia took the envelope from her mother, recognizing the familiar handwriting on it. She took out the card that was tucked into the envelope, eyes widening at the two one-hundred dollar bills that floated onto her lap. "Jesus, Mom, he usually only sends a twenty."