Welcome Home

Everything was as she remembered it, even the old gas station sign was the same. People never really got away from it, no matter how hard they tried to better themselves. Rey would know, she was one of those dreamers that thought she was better than all of them. 

The townspeople saw her as a success, one of those that got away to make something of herself, a bonafide feminist, an educated female, with a fancy university degree. One of those women that didn't drink beer from the bottle, that ordered her coffee like a foreigner, and would never be seen at the local dive bar. No, women like that drove miles to find some real "culture". People like that seemed to not speak the same language as they did, they even worked hard to rid themselves of the dreaded low class accent that every West Virginian didn't know they had. They didn't say things like " I seen her last week" or "I warshed my car".

Coming home with nothing more than a degree, what would be a meager savings in a big city but now a fortune, and a car packed full books, Rey drove through town holding back tears. Finding the dented mailbox and hidden gravel drive of her rental couldn't happen fast enough. The thought of running into someone she knew made her stomach churn.

Fuck! We have five lights in this town and I get one of them!

"Is that yew Rey....REY WALKER! What are yew doing here! How is that big fancy job up north treating you? My word, I never thought I would see yew again!."

Slouching in her seat, Rey sighed.

"Why hello there Laney! It's nice to see you." Rey presented her best attempt to smile and act happy.

WHY didn't I keep the window rolled up! She thought to herself.

"We neeeeed to catch up Missie-"

"Laney. the light is going to turn, it was so good seeing you-"

"Shoot, Rey Ann, you know that don't matter here...anyway, yew meet me at the Duck Tape tonight. It's trivia night and you can show all those drunks how smart yew are...and we can catch up. Meet me there at 7. Don't be a stranger....I know yew lady...yew get your ass out tonight. Find yerrself a good man."

Rey's cheeks flushed. "Haha...you haven't changed a bit. I don't know, I have a lot of unpacking to do...I will try-" Rey pressed on the gas.

"NO! Yew will be there! You know Clyde is the bartender-" Laney hollered at her car.

Rey pressed lightly on the brakes, sticking her head out the window. "Now Laney, why would I care if Clyde Logan was going to be there?"

Laney gave Rey a knowing look. "Because I know yew still hold a candle to that man. Yew know he is single."

The light turned yellow.

FUCK...another three minutes.

"Don't yew shake me off, Missie. Yew are still my best friend, even if yew are too fancy for West Virginia. Some things don't change and it is for the better! Don't yew forget that. Clyde Logan will be there and so will yew! "

"Ok...Ok. I will go.....if I can-Missie" Rey smiled back at her friend, eased into the intersection and drove off.

Clyde Logan. Rey couldn't help but giggle like a little girl. This was the last thing she was expecting, but deep down she had selfishly wished...prayed...that he was still there... and single.

Rey forgot how green home was. The gravel drive to her new home was completely obscured by wild overgrowth and hanging branches. She was hoping to arrive to something cute and well cared for, instead she had rented a huge project. She could leave it as is, which most would do around there, but Rey wanted a place to call her own. Putting the car in park by the mailbox, she got out to look around. Bursts of yellow and purple wildflowers, overgrown grass and weeds, and scattered butterflies blew in the wind framing the desolate road.