Chapter One.

Welcome. You are a phenomenon. You have been given a gift, an incredible power. You can change the world, shape your life however you can imagine. Or you can be overwhelmed. These supernatural abilities can sometimes be wild and unpredictable, and, if you are not careful enough, they will conquer you. So we will teach you to conquer them. With The Phenomenons, you will master your magic, make it part of who you are. If you cannot, your life will be spent learning how to become your truest self. You will only be free when you have complete control. This is not a voluntary process. Only those with the capacity to succeed and flourish will have their abilities unlocked. Here, you will be given the key to your future. Here, you will free your potential. Here, you are a phenomenon.

Kat smiled at the familiar inscription, the glittering words hovering in the air and casting a golden light on her face. This year would be her sixth year with The Phenomenons, having attended since her eleventh birthday, along with her twin brother, Ace. Well, her older brother technically, as he was born the night before her. Ace had been born in the late hours of September 11th, whereas Kat hadn't arrived until the early morning the day after. A fact that he just loved to remind her of. Whenever he wanted something, or when he wanted her to stop doing something. Sharp footsteps behind her alerted her to his presence, and she whipped around, a smile dancing on her pink lips. The twins were quickly wrapped in each other's embrace, two weeks of not seeing each other forgotten as they hugged.

Pulling away slightly, Ace glanced over his sister, instinctively checking her for any injuries or ailments. When he was satisfied, he cocked his head to the side, letting out a barking laugh at her mirrored movement.

"So, how's the family? Still crazy?" Kat raised one eyebrow and laughed when Ace pulled a displeased face. They had both received an invitation to join their cousins at their house for a few days near the coast, but Kat had decided to join a couple of students on a trip to The Phenomenons' sister school in Sollere. They would have gone together, but it hadn't taken much persuasion from the headmistress to convince Kat to travel to the southern academy instead.

"Pretty much, yeah. They were disappointed that you weren't there."

Kat didn't respond, instead loosing a long breath and rubbing her hands along the dark leather of her jacket.

"Mum and Dad already here?" She asked, gesturing to the school a few feet away from them.

Ace nodded. "Bet the headmistress is happier to see me than you. Since, you know, I'm her favourite."

She rolled her eyes at Ace's comment, unable to refute that, yes, he was the preferred twin. But that was only because the girl chose to have fun and to learn on her own terms rather than blindly following the rules, which sometimes made her unpopular with those in charge. Not that she wasn't valued and appreciated of course. Her powers were almost limitless, and she was a terrific mentor to younger students when it's came to keeping her considerable gifts under control, and manipulating them to her advantage. The same considerable gifts that were fluttering beneath the tanned skin of her arm, extending to activate the spell that allowed them to pass through the barrier.

Noticing her outstretched hand, Ace lunged forwards to press his palm to the wall before them, the magic entwined through the stone recognising him within seconds. A glow began to envelop the siblings and, with an almost tangible gust of power, they were teleported inside the grounds.

"Hey, you know I was going to do that." Kat punched her brother lightly on the shoulder, her playful grin fading as she took in their surroundings.

Even after years of spending all her time with The Phenomenons, the view from the mountaintop still amazed Kat: the shafts of moonlight shimmering on the lake; the endless rolling hills that supported the magnificent structure of the castle she called home; forests that sheltered countless species of animals. And then there was the castle itself. Centuries old, the towering citadel had always been home to generations of phenomenons, hidden from mundane life by a powerful enchantment cast by one of the founders. But they were truly missing out.