Chapter 5

After my little episode last night, I wasn't too keen to go back to the cliffs, but everyone was going so I felt the need to.

"No, if you don't want to go, I can stay here with you. Last night wasn't enough time to catch up." Jax says. "I really want to reconnect to my childhood best friend. But without the new influence of Claire, who knows what she has done to the young astronaut girl I was friends with in kindergarten." He jokes.

"I have long since grown out of my astronaut phase, Jax." I laugh. I'd turn and ask Cole if he was fine with me staying behind with my best friend because he was a jealous type but he had already left the house to go to the cliffs with Heath, Dylan and Tyler. He also wanted to catch up with his friends. "I don't see any harm in staying here."

"Yes, I have successfully achieved stage one." He cheered.

"I see you're still that little geek from our teens." I tease.

"Oh no, I forgot, as much as I know about you, you know as much about me." A horrified look crosses his face.

"Hell yeah I do. Just wait until your wedding day, the slideshow will be amazing." He looks even more terrified for a moment before laughing along with me.

"Hey, Claire, don't wait up for us. We are planning on staying here today." I yell across the room when I see her face begin to glare at me. Everyone was apparently waiting.

"You couldn't have told me that 10 minutes ago?" She scolds before yelling for Celeste so that they could meet the guys at the cliff.

"While we may have grown out of our astronaut and geek phases, Claire still clearly hasn't left her bossy stage." Jace whispers.

"Who said it was a stage?" I respond before bursting out into laughter. Jax joins me and we make so much noise that Claire has a suspicious look on her face.

"Should I be concerned as to what is happening there?" She asked.

"No, but I think you didn't have to wait for me, Celeste is also taking her time."

"Hey, no I'm not, I'm here and ready to go. You coming?" She asks while bounding down the stairs.

"Nah, we're staying here to catch up."

"Though, we might be there later, I might be able to convince her to join the fun." Jax tells them.

Before I could shut down that, the girls are out of the room and on their way.

"Dude, I do not want to be going there today. I've been there every day and I know it's amazing, but I also need some space to think. Actually, having you guys all here is perfect. Hope you don't mind, but you're my excuse."

"You know you can always blame me for everything."

"Even better, I know who I'm using if I ever murder anyone."

"You would do that to me?"

"Well, you did say everything. I'm just taking the offer up." I say shrugging.

"God, what have I signed myself up for?" He says looking up toward the heavens.

"Jax, you're an atheist, you chose to be here and you can't blame God for this."

"Even worse. It was my choice. Why, God?"

"Don't use the Lords name in vain." I playfully scold, he knows I am also an atheist. I long stopped believing when everything bad kept happening. If He was truly out there and watching over our world, why wouldn't we have world peace? World hunger? War?